36

Theia regretted her decision the second she stepped into the sitting room. Cassian was wildly throwing his arms and legs around while Azriel laughed and tied him to the couch with rope. Theia's eyes widened and she whipped her head back to the doorway, but Nyx and Nesta were gone. She cleared her throat, grabbed the handle of her bag with both hands. Azriel shot her a quick glance before finishing off the tie, then dropping down on the last cushion by Cassian's head.

"Oh, go ahead and take a seat. He'll be out soon enough," Azriel sighed, stretching his legs out. Theia glanced at the large armchair across from them and aimed for it, sitting down slowly. Cassian's eyes were leaden, his body shifting slowly against the restraints.

"So, what are you and Nyx doing back in Velaris? A romantic get away?" Azriel asked, slapping Cassian on the forehead when he mumbled something Theia couldn't hear. Her cheeks heated and she shook her head.

"No, not at all. He thought it may be good for me if I stayed somewhere besides the village," she responded. Azriel cocked his head, looking her over.

"Rhysand mentioned you didn't want to be bothered by him or Nyx anymore. We were ordered not to visit you if we went to the camps. Have you been doing alright?"

His question made her throat tighten, lashes fluttering as she strained against the urge to close them. Did she need to be entirely honest? It didn't matter, her head shook before she could stop herself.

"What about your mother?" Cassian spoke drowsily, resting his head on Az's thigh. Theia's eyes dropped to her hands, picking at her nails. Hearing someone else mention Maia ached.

"She, uh, she died," Theia murmured. Silence answered and she forced herself to lift her eyes. Cassian was looking at her with his lip poured dramatically, and Azriel stared with his usual blank look.

"Sorry to hear that," Azriel finally spoke. Theia dipped her chin, not wanting to mention Maia anymore. Her eyes flicked between them and discomfort grew when Azriel studied her longer. She felt his gaze like she had on the Solstice night, like he was peering into her soul. Perhaps he was, because his eyes blinked rapidly and his facial expression dropped.

"Has Nyx been keeping an eye on you?" He asked, leaning forward slightly. Cassian, whose eyes were now closed, grunted at the way his face was pressed between Azriel's thigh and stomach.

Theia nodded, tucking her legs up into the chair. Azriel frowned, cocking his head to the side. Chills covered her skin. She felt as though he could sense everything, like how Nyx could reach into her mind. Azriel leaned back, glancing down at Cassian. He poked the male's cheek, getting no response. His eyes returned to Theia. She shuddered, sensing an interrogation coming.

"You're not well, are you? I've seen the signs, I know what you're feeling," he spoke slowly, as if giving her time to catch on. Theia scoffed, picking at her wool leggings.

"I'm fine, I don't know why Nyx is so set on holding me hostage until he thinks I'm fine. I've made it long enough, I don't need a bunch of male's suddenly interested in my well being."

She didn't mean to say it all, especially not to one of the three most feared Illyrian warriors. Her eyes shot up to his, almost frantic that he would retaliate. Azriel just grinned, shrugging slightly.

"You may think that, but some people need a push. I know someone well that dove headfirst into depression and she needed someone to drag her out. Doesn't mean you're weak, just means you're like everyone else."

Theia's brows pressed together. She didn't want to be schooled on how to get out of depression. Hell, she wasn't depressed. That familiar rage flickered, her eyes narrowing. She could tell where Nyx got his cocky persistence from.