59

By the time Nyx left Rhysand's office, Theia had taken a seat at the bottom of the stairs. Her eyes felt swollen and sore, legs curled beneath herself as she laid her head against the banister. His footsteps grew near and she lifted her eyes. Drenched in shadow and moonlight, Nyx looked as beautiful as he had when they left for the Hewn City. A warrior in every way, a future High Lord, a leader.

He lowered himself to his knees and brushed his knuckle over her cheek. Theia's tired eyes fluttered at the touch. He didn't speak as he pulled her by the waist and Theia's legs wrapped around his hips. Nyx rose from his knees and began carrying her up the stairs. The emotional warrior within herself made Theia despise how much she adored being in his arms. She felt safe, like nothing could get to her.

Nyx walked them into her bedroom and sat Theia on the bed before crouching between her knees. She frowned as she watched him, reaching out to take his hand.

"My father wants to speak with you in the morning. He doesn't want anymore discussion tonight," he murmured, voice hoarse from the shouting he had done. Theia nodded, staring at his hand as she traced the veins from his wrist to his knuckle. She felt like a child, again. A child who had been tattled on, awaiting the scolding from the parent. Rhysand deserved to know how wrong he was, though. Theia would never regret telling Nyx how she felt.

"Nyx," Theia whispered, bringing her gaze to his eyes as she lifted his hand to her cheek. He met her state with that caring look that made her soul crack. She had never lit the room, so the moon was the only light to cast over his features. He always looked more beautiful at night.

"Theia," Nyx responded, ghosting his thumb over the skin of her face. Theia leaned into the touch, using her ankles around his waist to pull him closer. He let out a soft sound as he shifted forward.

"Hold me tonight. I want to pretend, just until the morning, that I was never angry. I'm so tired of being angry. I want you to be here so that all I feel is love."

His lips lifted into a gentle smile. Nyx rose from between her knees, reaching behind himself to unbutton his shirt around his wings. The fabric fell, and he dropped to his knees again. Fingertips danced across her collarbone. His eyes trailed his movements, watching her reaction. Chills erupted across her skin behind his touch.

"Can I undress you?"

"I don't want to-"

"Not for that, Theia. You can't sleep in a gown," Nyx interrupted, offering a small amused smile. Her cheeks heated as she nodded and moved to stand. Nyx looked up at her from his knees. She craved his comforting touch, her eyes fluttering shut as Nyx laid a hand on her hip and urged her to turn.

Exhaustion from her intense emotions had Theia's head dropping forward as Nyx began untying the corset back of the dress. She sighed at the sensation of the boning loosening from her skin. As the ribbons fell free, the dress fell with them. The night air touched her skin in a glorious breath; Nyx's fingers outlining her waist as he moved to the undergarments on her hips. When her body was left bare, she felt a single kiss to the center of her spine before he was back to his feet.

"Come here, pretty," Nyx murmured, walking around her to the bed. Theia turned to see him pulling his trousers off, bare as he climbed beneath the blankets. He held them open, waiting for her to join him. Theia swallowed the sorrow of the night as she climbed over his body and laid herself between his thighs, her head against his shoulder. Nyx pulled the blanket over their bodies and wrapped his arm around her shoulder as an anchor to himself.

"I love you, Nyx," Theia whispered, her fingers ghosting the bulges and valleys of his muscles. She paused over his chest, laying her palm flat over the muscle. His heartbeat seemed to hold her to reality, draw her in when insanity seemed to devour her mind.