45

Theia had fallen asleep on Nyx's chest. Her worried thoughts had her falling exhausted after their time in bed. When she awoke, it was lunch time, and Nyx still laid beneath her. She savored the sound of his pulse for a long moment before lifting her head. He gave her a sleepy smile, running his fingers through her hair.

"Welcome back, beautiful."

"How long was I asleep?" Theia asked, frowning slightly.

"Only a couple hours. Everyone is having lunch now," Nyx responded in a gentle voice, one that had Theia's stomach twisting. She was used to his kindness, his softness, but only when they'd lay together. It was normal, it was safe. Now, nude on his body, muscles still sore, everything felt new. She swallowed, pushing herself up more. Nyx's eyes didn't drop to the body that was exposed, he kept his eyes on hers.

"Nyx," Theia breathed out. He knew every thought that ran through her head- every emotion that trickled through her nerves. Nyx shook his head with that same smile, brushing his fingers through her hair again.

"No, not now. I know it's frightening, but just let me savor you, Theia."

Even his offer sent a spark of fear through her. He wanted more than she'd ever given. Not just her body, which she'd let him take whenever he pleased, but her heart and mind. Nyx wanted the most of Theia, and she wasn't sure how ready she was to give it. Another swallow around the growing lump in her throat, Theia rolled from his body. The blankets didn't follow and laid across his hips in a pool of silk and fur. She was grateful for that. She didn't trust what her body would do at the sight of him wholly.

"Theia-"

"Nyx," she repeated, stepping back from the bed and shaking her head. It was never meant to be like this. She saw his intention in those glittering eyes. She knew the emotions that blanketed each word. Nyx sat up, watching her. Theia crossed an arm over her chest and brought her other hand to her lips, remembering the way his own felt. She hated how she craved the taste, the feel of him.

In all his glory, the heir shoved the blankets away and stood from the bed. Her breathing felt shallow and rapid, panic climbing her spine with the same claws that Nyx had on her mind. The signs had been there with each passing day. The way Theia clung to his touch, his comfort, his voice. A male she had hated so fully; but how different was hate and love? Both emotions were so fierce, could she have determined which one held dominance when she looked at him?

"It isn't right," she croaked, feeling dread squeeze her throat. Nyx's lips flattened, head shaking. He stepped forward, hands outstretched. She flinched but didn't move away when that calloused skin met hers. One hand lifted to her cheek, the other on her hip. Nyx's thumb pressed against her chin, lifting her eyes to his.

"I was waiting for you to finally understand. This, this hasn't been about helping you for a long while, Theia. You've captured me. You've taken over my every thought, my every breath. Let me show you how good it could be, please."

Her head shook again, breath shuddering. His eyes flickered to her lips, which Theia realized her quivering. She hated how much his warm touch soothed her panic, even if his stare fed it.

"It was never meant to be like this," Theia whispered, brows furrowing when his eyes met hers again.

"Maybe not, but it's what it became. I know how you feel about me, Theia. I feel your pulse when I touch you, I hear the thoughts you have when you want me beside you. You've been denying it, yet you wish for me to hold you each night? It's not about trauma or grief anymore. This is about us, Theia." His words were clear and blunt. Nyx never seemed to dance around his intention. The proof of his words laid in his eyes, the way they softened as they glanced between her own.