7

A week without her mother and Theia felt empty. Her chest felt cold, no matter how hot the fire burned. Her stomach felt empty, even after she bought far too much at the market after she was paid. Sleep didn't come easy, and the days seemed to drag longer. Calliope had even given Theia pastries for free after the mornings being absent of her smile. Theia forced a grin onto her lips and ate the berry-filled pastry that tasted like ash.

The tavern was far worse. With the trainees being off the following day, the tavern roared to life with drunken antics and banter. Theia didn't entertain the males that eyed her or snap at the ones that demanded more drinks. She simply remained silent and poured whatever was asked of her.

"You've been quiet the past few days, what's going on?" Elena asked as she sat a pint of ale in front of someone. Theia shot her a glance while opening another bottle of whiskey.

"Nothing, I'm fine," she responded, unsure if Elena could hear her over the sound of the crowd. Her friend gave her a strange look but wiped it from her features when a female began to order.

"Whiskey, please." Theia didn't want to lift her gaze from the counter, not at the sound of his voice.

"Sorry, I'm pouring ale at the moment. Speak with Elena," she spoke through her teeth, dropping the whiskey bottle and turning to the keg. Nyx let out an unamused laugh that reached Theia's bones.

"Don't be like that. You want a job so badly, then do it," he responded, and she knew he was leaning over the counter. Theia straightened and forced herself to look at the male who stole her mother away.

"Why do you even come here? You have plenty to drink at your home, I'm sure."

Nyx rose a brow, blue eyes twinkling. "I don't have a pretty female to hand me my drinks when I'm home." Brute.

"You have my mother, isn't that enough?" Theia spat, messily pouring whiskey into a glass and slamming it onto the counter in front of him. Nyx shrugged as he took a sip, reaching into his pocket.

"Her daughter is far more desirable." Nyx slid a silver coin across the counter. Thea bared her teeth as she snatched it.

"I want you out of my face. You have your drink, so get the fuck away."

"Is there a problem here?" A male asked as he slid in beside the heir, eyes flicking between the two. Her nostrils flared as she filled a glass of ale and shoved it toward him.

"Like you care," she sneered before turning. Unfortunately, she couldn't escape them because Elena stood a breath from her. Her hands fell to Theia's shoulders, her face dipping down.

"Why don't you go take a break? Go out back and cool down," she said softly, offering a smile before moving Theia to the side. Gladly, Theia marched out from behind the counter and to the back door, not bothering to grab her coat on the way out.

Her breath left in a large cloud of fog as her back hit the wooden wall of the tavern. Snow fell around her, silent besides the drunken trainees in the streets. Nyx was infuriating, especially with how cocky he was after her mother chose him. Perhaps Theia had too much unspent rage, but the way he spoke to her made her cold stomach burn.

It was as if her denial of his help was all he needed to push away the ruse of kindness. He had seemed to care so much about her in the week passed, but now, he was no better than the other males in the building behind her. Theia clenched her jaw, turning her eyes to the flakes falling onto her boots. They, too, left before Theia had the chance to appreciate them. Her mother was simply one of these snowflakes, leaving her to join the others that were so different from Theia herself. Their wealth was in beauty, however, and Maia's newest choices were far from beautiful.