65 - Nyx

His nerves were shot. Nyx's knee bounced under the table, his hand running over his jaw again and again. Every time his father spoke with Theia alone, something terrible happened. He could hardly breathe as he waited for the female he loved to walk out of his father's office. He was proud of the way she stood up for her beliefs tonight. He had never been so inspired to make the court right before- even if it meant tearing his father down.

The lip he had been gnawing on now tasted of blood and Nyx winced. His mother sighed and laid her hand on his shaking knee. Nyx turned his head to her, lips forming a frown.

"Everything was taken care of, Nyx. There's no need to be so worried," Feyre cooed. Nyx shook his head and turned his gaze back to the doorway.

"I feel like he is going to do something. They've been talking too long," he muttered. Feyre scoffed, patting his knee before pulling her hand back.

"Your father will not do something to her. You know that. Just be patient, you'll have her soon enough," she responded as she gathered the plates and glasses and left for the kitchen. Nyx groaned and dropped his head onto the table. He had never felt so much for one person, and knowing Theia was in that office with his father was enough to make him nauseous.

Nyx brows furrowed as he slowly lifted his head from the table. He heard voices, low and muttering. It was not his lover's raspy tone, but his mother and father's. Footsteps followed, and Nyx bolted from the seat. He rounded the table, ready to meet them at the doorway. Nyx stopped suddenly as Rhysand turned the corner, Feyre behind him with her fingers over her lips. His eyes darted between them, realizing Theia isn't behind them.

"Where is she?" Nyx asked, his voice so low he wasn't sure his father could hear him. He knew something would happen, and he knew it was his father's fault.

"Theia has decided to return to Windhaven immediately."

Nyx was sure his heart stopped beating in that moment. His eyes were unfocused as he stared at his father's stoic face. He lost balance, stumbling back and catching himself on the wall. Feyre let out a small sound that nearly sounded like a sob as she turned to face the corridor.

"What- What do you mean?" He whispered. Nyx couldn't meet his father's eyes. Not when the female he loved left after speaking with him. Left. She was gone.

"Theia will not be returning to Velaris. You will be focusing on your duties as heir. You will be taking lessons, traveling to the courts, and focusing on your responsibilities. Theia will
be overseeing the changes made to Windhaven. You will not be allowed in the village until you have an understanding of your future," Rhysand spoke emotionless. He stared at his son, and Nyx stared back.

His eyes focused on Rhysand's throat, noting the way it bobbed slightly. It wasn't that unrelenting sensation of loss within his bones anymore. As Nyx met his father's eyes, all he could feel was rage. His teeth pressed together hard enough that his jaw popped; Nyx's hands curled into fists at his side.

"What the fuck did you do to her?" He snarled, stepping forward. His face was inches from his father's towering over him with a height that came from neither parents. Rhysand didn't move.

"Theia made her decision on her own. I offered to take her to Windhaven tomorrow, but she chose to leave without your knowledge. The camp lords and warriors on patrol know that you are not allowed in the village. If you choose to go find her, I cannot guarantee you will make it a step on the street without ten warriors on you. Be smart about this, Nyx. A female is not enough to ruin your future."

"What fucking future? I have centuries until I'm High Lord. Until your head is underground, I will not take the throne. Are you telling me that unless the possibility of me being High Lord happens, I cannot go find the female I love?" Nyx spat, leaning over Rhysand.