Chapter 2

Charlotte

It's been hours since I got home, and I had no text messages or missed calls. I spoke with the National News and explained that we needed to reschedule. They were not happy about it at all.

Is this really how my life was supposed to turn out? From a Princeton graduate to a trophy wife? How pathetic! I can't even do anything about it. Whenever I bring up even filing a divorce, it turns into an argument. He always says, "It's bad publicity! ″ So now I'm stuck in a loveless marriage for the rest of my life. A look of determination suddenly formed on my face. No. I can't live this way anymore! I'm not going to be viewed as a weak housewife. The minute he gets home, I'm demanding a divorce-whether if he likes it or not. 

Just as I'm thinking about that, Adam comes through the door and leaves it wide open. He's finally home!

"Is everything okay?"

"No, not exactly."

"What's wrong?"

"There's someone who I'd like you to meet. This is Jamie Garcia. He's an ex-SEAL and the top man on my security team."

A strong man with a sharp jawline and an equally sharp expression appears behind Adam. He looks at me without saying anything. His face is so serious, but his eyes are piercing.

"Okay..." I say shocked. "Why is he in our house?"

"Jamie is going to be your own personal bodyguard."

"My what? What in the fuck is going on?"

"I received this letter today." He hands me an envelope and crossed his arms around his chest.

Inside it is a neatly typed letter and a handful of photos. I gasp when I realize the pictures are of me at the store, out with my friends and even me sleeping in the living room.

"What is this, Adam?"

"Just read the letter."

Dear Mr. Lexington... Here's proof that we not only know where she is at all times, but that we can get into your house without you even knowing. If you don't drop the campaign, your wife's days are very limited. Consider yourself warned. There is no signature found at the bottom of the letter.

"What the hell is this?! Is this some kind of sick joke?"

"Babe, it's nothing to be too worried about."

"NOTHING to be worried about? Adam, there's a photo of me sleeping in our bed! They were in the house while I was sleeping! How are you not worried about this?"

The bodyguard's eyes flicker over to mine but remains quiet. "Really, these shenanigans happen all the time. Most prestigious senators are used to receiving death threats. They get them every day."

"Then what's up with the bodyguard?"

Adam shrugs. "I'd look like a dickhead if I didn't take the threats at least a little seriously. Especially since it's been released to the public."

I gasp. "What? How?"

Adam checks his Rolex watch with an expressionless look on his face. "I had to tell the news why we cancelled the interview so last minute."

I stare at him in awe. He exposed the letter to the public. "Why would you do that? I texted you and told you I'd already contacted them! Everything was perfectly fine!"

"Calm down, Charlotte. Those people are like vultures. I needed to give them something, otherwise they'd refuse to reschedule."

"Adam, I already rescheduled! I had everything handled! What if you just put my life in more danger? Do I really mean that little to you?"

"Jesus." He laughed and rolled his eyes. "There's no need to be all dramatic with yourself."

"What if I don't want a bodyguard?"

"It's non-negotiable. I'm your husband, you do what the fuck I tell you to."

"You sound so stupid right now. This is a marriage for god's sake, not a dictatorship."

"This is how it is going to be until this is dealt with. Starting tomorrow morning, Jamie will be watching your every move. He'll be contacting me if anything is suspicious."

"I'm twenty-five years old for fucks sake!" He chuckles. "It's for your own good. As long as he's with you, there's no concern. I have to go back to work now."

"I can't believe you're doing this."

He smirked before saying, "Bye babe." He walks out leaving me alone with the bodyguard. I glance at him who's completely silent. I try to ignore his muscles and look anywhere but at his whole torso. "Jamie, right?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Well, I guess you and I are going to have tons of fun." He stands silently and the only gesture I get is a simple nod.