Chapter 10

What if their back to finish the job?! "Stay down and be quiet." Something slams against the ground outside the cabin.

Startled, I jump and wrap my arms around his waist. "What if they..." As soon as I realized I was hugging him, I pulled away. "Jamie, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to...I..."

"Shhh..." To my surprise he softly grabbed my hand. "Stay and don't move. If I'm not back in 10 minutes, call the cops." He let go of my hand before I could even argue.

He's capable but will he come back safely? I pull out my phone and dial 9-1-1, hovering my finger over the call button. How long has he been gone? Seconds, minutes? Should I call? No Charlotte. Wait. It's too early. Just as I'm about to put my phone in my pocket, the door swings open, startling me. Right before I scream, a hand covers my mouth.

"It's me, calm down."

My body relaxes at the soothing sound of his voice. He pulls his hand away from my mouth. "Did you get them? Are they tied up?"

"Come take a look, shall we?" He takes my hand and leads me outside. "Look."

I look down at the garbage can knocked over and see a raccoon head pop out. "Raccoons?"

He laughed. "Yes."

I laugh and pull the door closed a little harder than necessary.

"You sure do have an angry side considering how tiny you are."

"I do not!"

"Sorry, I must've mistaken the wind slamming the door shut?"

I smirked. "You were just as startled as me Mr. Tough-Guy."

"I don't get scared."

"Everyone does."

He takes a gun out of his holster and puts it on the table.

"You have a gun?"

He nodded. "I'm here to protect you. How else am I going to protect you"

"But why would you need it here?"

"Can't ever be too careful. I'll go deal with the trash pandas." As he leaves, my phone vibrates.

Hannah: what the hell is going on?! You're all over the news! Something about a shooting! U ok??

 Charlotte: physically yes but it's been a stressful few days.

 Hannah: you haven't told me anything, why? 

Charlotte: i would've nut nobody's telling me anything either :/ 

Hannah: Jesus. Are u home? Can I come over? 

Charlotte: Adam sent me away with a bodyguard. Some ex-SEAL 

Hannah: whoa, I'm so jealous girl!

 Charlotte: why? 

Hannah: he's hot right? All SEALs are hot. There are so many crazy fantasies running through my mind rn :) 

Charlotte: what? 

Hannah: don't you see? This is your chance! You haven't had real love in YEARS! Get on that one! Bow chicka wow wow. 

Charlotte: Oh, shut up! And one problem, I'm married! 

Hannah: lol you and i both know what a wonderful marriage it is, Char. Ur husband cheats on u every time you turn ur back. 

Charlotte: which is why i'm leaving him as soon as his campaign is over. 

Hannah: see? So stop worrying about that asshole and focus on someone else??? 

Charlotte: not that simple, Hannah

 Hannah: why's that? Does sex with him entail a proposal? 

Charlotte: no? 

Hannah: stop making excuses then. If ur into him, go for it girl! 

Charlotte: I guess you have a point. 

Hannah: damn right 

Charlotte: still impossible. He's too professional and would never cross that line with me. 

Hannah: no man can resists a body likes urs. U have curves that are to die for! I think u should show him exactly what he's missing! Did u bring anything sexy? 

Charlotte: well.... 

Hannah: that's my girl :) wear something in front of him, he can't resist

 Charlotte: omg your such a bad influence on me! 

Hannah: u love me. 

Charlotte: ofc i do. 

Hannah: i gtg get ready for a meeting but let me know how it goes :) and how good his package is ;) 

Hannah: omg Hannah!

She's right about that one thing. I do deserve better than what my so-called husband has been giving me. I think back to the way Warren watched me as I got out of the shower. The image began to run through my head. If he'd just ripped the towel off my body... if he'd push me up against the wall and brought his hands up to my... no no no! Jesus where are these thoughts coming from? Damn it, Hannah. I walk into the bedroom and close the door behind me. At the base of the bed is Jamie lying on his mattress.