Chapter 36

"Whoever that was, they tried to kill us." 

 "But...why? How?" 

 "See the stoves and the rags around? Propane stoves produce carbon monoxide which is basically a silent killer. It's a gas that's colorless and odorless."

 "Why was there smoke then?"

 "I'm assuming he was hoping the rags would catch on fire which would burn the place up and if they had failed and they hadn't caught on fire, the gas would've killed us in our sleep."

 My eyes widened in shock. "Wow. If we hadn't heard that noise, we'd both be dead right now." 

"We aren't safe here anymore."

 "But where can we go? Is there another safe-house set up?" 

 "No. I might be able to contact some people but it could take a few days."

 "We don't have that much time. He could come back! And he could have backup next time!"

 "I know. Now that he knows we saw him, he might get bolder." He glances in my direction, suddenly hesitant. "Adam showing up last night... that can't be a coincidence. Someone must have followed him."

 "I don't think so. Maybe it was someone on the inside. Someone within his inner group who had access to information about my locations. Or someone on his security team was paid off."

 "Also possible."

 "Well, should we tell Adam?" 

 "No. We can't tell him where we are until we are 100% safe. I don't want anything to happen to you."

 "Okay, so basically we leave without saying a word?" 

 "It'll give us the extra time we need. Is there anywhere you know of that Adam would never think to check?" 

 "No. I really can't go out much without him."

 "Okay, maybe somewhere he'd think you'd never go?" I pause to think. "I hate to say this because I really don't want to go." 

His eyes light up as he looks at me. "I haven't spoken to them since my wedding. I doubt they'd let us stay after the way things ended." 

 "Who?" 

 "My parents."

***One hour later: Despite how relaxing my shower was, it did nothing to get rid of the nerves in my stomach. I haven't seen them in years. I doubt they even want to see me. I shake my head and try not to think of the past. I need to pick an outfit. Despite not seeing them for so long, I want to make a good impression. I chose a jumpsuit and a jacket. It's been a while since I wore something like this. Time to go find Jamie. I take my suitcase into the living room and I find him waiting for me. "Are we going?" 

 "There's one thing left before we go." 

 "Which is?" 

 "We have to trash this place."

"What?" 

 "We can't leave anything traceable. It also has to look like no one's been here for a while."

 "I hadn't thought about that. So, where do we begin?"

 "I'll go to the kitchen, so you can decide where you want to go." 

 "Just..." He looked at me and scratched the back of his neck. "Don't destroy anything valuable, it's still my house." 

 "No breaking the TV?"

 "No." "What about windows?" 

 "Do that, I leave you here."

 "Boo, you're no fun."

 He laughs. "I'm letting you trash this place, of course I'm fun."

 I roll my eyes and go to the bedroom. My eyes look right at the four curtains hanging around the living room. As I reach for the first one, I tug on it to get a feel for how hard I'll have to pull. I reach up, then yank down hard on the curtain. It comes down with a loud snap, and the pole almost lands on my head. I jump out of the way and hear a laugh from the other room. Deciding to ignore Jamie, I continue on the other ones. 

 "Impressive." 

 "Thanks!"

 "I've never been too fond of that couch you know. How about you give me a reason to buy a new one?" 

 "You sure?" 

 "Definitely. We kind of broke it last night." I laughed. 

"Come here." I walk towards him and he crashes his lips onto mine. "I can't wait to fuck you later." He whispered seductively in my ear. I blushed and smiled. "Shall we go, babe?" 

God... Why is he so damn handsome? He takes my suitcase in one hand and my hand in the other as we leave the cabin.