Chapter 6

Charlotte

"I'll start a fire. You can head upstairs and unpack. You must be tired."

"Where are the bedrooms?"

"There's only the master bedroom."

"Where are you sleeping?"

"On an air mattress."

Rolling my eyes at him, I couldn't help but blush. "Please. A bed would be better."

He chuckled. "Probably."

"So, you'll be protecting me from the big bad monsters?"

He laughed. "You can put it that way."

Once I'm in bed, I toss and turn for at least a whole hour. I wonder if Jamie is having the same issue. I whisper his name as quietly as possible. "Jamie?"

"Yes?" "Are you still awake?"

He laughed. "Yes."

"Since you're an ex-SEAL, what missions were you on?"

"That's not information I can share."

"Right. Sorry. We'll be spending a lot of time together, hence why I figured that we could get to know each other better."

"You know everything you need to know."

"Not at all. How old are you?"

 "Thirty, you?" 

"Twenty-five. Where are you from?"

"Nearby, how about you?"

"Born and raised in California. Favorite color?"

"Black. What's yours?"

"Can't tell you."

He chuckles, making me blush. He has such a nice laugh. Still, this conversation is not getting anywhere.

"Would you like to come up here and lay with me?"

"That's..."

"Please? I'm so used to sleeping next to someone."

"Okay okay, you got me." He stood up and laid right next to me, wrapping his strong arms around me.

"Goodnight, Charlotte." The sound of his soft breathing is soothing, and it isn't too long before I drift off to sleep.

*Next morning: When I woke up, he was gone from the room. The mattress on the floor had been picked up and I smelled bacon from the kitchen. I took the opportunity to hop in the shower and enjoyed the hot water for what seemed like hours. 

Once I'm done, I soon realize I forgot my underwear. As I run into the bedroom to get it, I see a naked Jamie standing in front of me.