Chapter 30

"I'm DEAD?"

"There has to be an explanation."

"Jamie, that's a body bag!"

The TV read, "It was early this morning that the remains of a young woman were found beside an abandoned building on Lake Street. Two joggers noticed the body and immediately called 9-1-1. Though it's said to have been burned beyond recognition, the woman was reportedly wearing a wedding ring on her left hand. Just one hour ago, Senator Adam Lexington identified the body as his now dead wife, Charlotte Lexington. His wife went missing only a few days prior to..."

"Jamie, please shut it off." I don't know if I was angrier or upset because tears began to slide down my face.

He took the remote and quickly turned the TV off. "Look at me." 

"I can't do anything." I stood up and went to the bedroom and laid down in pure shock.

After a few moments, I hear footsteps coming towards the bedroom.

"Charlotte." He walked over and sat next to me. "Just breathe."

"Jamie, I..." He takes my hands in his and rubs soothing movements on my palms with his thumbs. I try my best to match his breathing with my own, but my heart feels like it's about to blow up.

"There has to be some sort of explanation." She's never had a man be concerned like that.

"Why the fuck would he do this? What do we have to gain from this? Saying I was kidnapped is one thing, but dead? That sick dog bastard."

"I don't know Charlotte, but I'm going to get to the bottom of this." He looked at me with pleading eyes.

"I won't ever leave you Charlotte. I'm keeping you safe no matter what."

I sighed as he lifted his thumbs up to gently wipe the tears away. "Maybe there was another threat we don't know about?"

"Another?"

"It's possible he may have felt he didn't have an option."

"To kill me off?! What the fuck is wrong with him! There must be an explanation for this bullshit."

"Well, I'll make sure we get an explanation because I don't like this at all."

"You and me both. This whole thing is fishy and the fact that an actual body was found. Could it be a case of a mistaken identity? Except the woman was wearing my own wedding band!"

"That reminds me. Isn't your ring here? I saw you wearing it a few days ago." His eyes gaze down to my bare fingers.

"I have 2. He lost them before the wedding, so he ordered another set. Then he found them a few weeks later...he must've used one of those."

"Possibly."

"And honestly, I..." Then I stopped.

"Honestly, what?" I looked up at him with a sad expression on my face.

"Tell me."

"That bastard doesn't deserve me. Fuck wearing my rings to symbolize my marriage with him. But, is it possible he killed someone?" Would Adam go that far?

Warren sighed. "I don't know. I... I don't know what your husband is capable of, Charlotte."

"Don't even call him my husband anymore. I'm filing for a divorce once I get back." Looking down at the floor, I had a realization. "Everyone thinks I'm dead. My neighbors, friends, my family."

He notices more tears roll down my face. "Charlotte..."

"I can't ever go back. All my money, my belongings, even my home... they aren't mine anymore. Everything belongs to him."

"No, it doesn't. This is just temporary. I'm getting in touch with that bastard and he's going to explain everything."

"How can you be so sure, Jamie?"

"I'll make him." Something dangerous comes over him but he softens once he looks at me. "Don't give up." He opens his arms and I absorb his comforting hug. Even with all this chaos, he's made me feel so safe. He kisses my forehead then rests his chin on top of my head, so I use the opportunity to hug him even tighter. "We'll get through this. I promise."

I frown and pull away. "What if he doesn't agree to this?"

 "I won't stop, don't worry. How about I make you something to eat? You look stressed."

 "I can't eat anything right now, Jamie."

 "What about some tea?"

 "Sure." He picks up the blanket from the back of the couch and wraps it around me. "Sit tight, I'll be back."