Chapter 39

*20 minutes later: After I finished my story from start to end, both of my parents became angry and worried. It take multiple attempts for Jamie and I to tell them that I was perfectly safe with him until Hannah spoke up. "Do you think Adam has anything to do with these shenanigans?" 

Jamie looked at Hannah and scowled. "What?" 

 "Come on, you can't tell me that you haven't considered that? The moment I found out about all of the threats, I had an intuition that Adam could have been involved." 

 "But, why would he..." 

 "He's an asshole, Charlotte. You and I both know that. He's a lying, cheating, heartless scum bag."

 "As much as I hate him, I doubt he'd be part of this just to get rid of Charlotte. All he has to do is simply file for a divorce." 

 "It's way more complicated than that, mom."

 "What about your phone? Maybe that could have been the situation." 

 "Oh my god." Hannah gasped. "I sent you those messages when you were away, I could've caused this!" 

 Yes. She probably did, but I couldn't tell her that. "Han, don't worry. Jamie umm... took care of that." 

 "What? How?" 

 I looked at Jamie and he couldn't help but smirk. "He snapped my phone in half and burnt the remains right in front of me." 

 "Oh my gosh, that's so hot." 

 "Hannah!" 

 "Can he break my phone too?"

 "Stop it!"

 She laughed. "It sure takes a lot of strength to do that." 

 Strong enough for us to break a couch too. 

 My mother cleared her throat to change the topic. "Hannah, when you ran into Adam a couple of days ago, did you see anyone suspicious who could've followed him?"

 "Y-you spoke to him?"

 "Barely. He wouldn't say a single word to me, especially once he saw me." 

 "What was he doing?"

 "He was on a date with Olivia Banks from that annoying ass TV show. But the second he saw me, he got out of the restaurant as quickly as he could, leaving Olivia to pay for the bill."

 "This Olivia seems pretty suspicious. I think I might be able to have one of my buddies who's a cop to do a little investigating to see if there's any valuable information regarding the threats. It sure as hell seems like Adam hasn't done anything to help." 

 "I agree," Jamie said, nodding. Hearing his voice reminded me that he's been quiet 95% of the day. "Consider it done. I'll give them a call now."

 "Oh yeah! That reminds me, I need to cancel your memorial service."

 "My what?!"

 "Hello, Charlotte? You died, remember?" 

 "I never thought about that. What are you going to tell them?" "That your parents are still upset and that they can't handle a service right now."

 Once Hannah stands up, I follow suit and feel Jamie's breath on my neck as he trails close behind me. "Hey mom, do you mind if Jamie and I drop off our things in one of the spare bedrooms?" 

 "You guys are... sleeping together?" 

 "Mom, I'm twenty five years old. Of course we are." 

 She sighed before saying, "Top floor, second door on the right." 

 I nodded and went into the mudroom to grab our bags. This is going to be a long stay. As I walked up the steps, my mom followed me into the bedroom. "You know mom, you really didn't have to come up here with us."

 "Nonsense! What kind of host would I be without changing the sheets?" 

 "You could've just told me where you keep them." 

 She smiled and hugged me. "I'll let you two settle in. If you need me, my cell number is written on a sticky note on the fridge." 

 "Where are you going?" 

 "The store since Hannah dropped all of the bags on the floor. I'll be gone for an hour but if you want more than that, text me!" 

 "More time for what?" 

 "Oh, you know." 

 "Mom!" 

 "You kids have fun." 

 As she shut the bedroom door, Jamie looked at me and raised his eyebrows. "What?"

 "Wow." 

 I laughed. "I know."

 "Your family seems... nice." 

 "Oh my god, that was so awkward of her to say that in front of you."

  "Well, maybe we should take extra time to do, you know." 

 "How about I take you for a tour first?" 

 He nodded. "Alright." 

 "Follow me." The first place we went was outside. "So, this is my pool."

 "Wow, it's huge." 

 "It seemed bigger when I was younger. I used to spend so much time in it, my parents tried to put a padlock on the door to keep me out when they weren't home. After the third time of me breaking in, they finally gave up and hired a lifeguard." I laugh at the memory and I hear Jamie chuckle. 

 "I guess that makes sense." 

 "What does?" 

 "I thought you were only stubborn with me, but it looks like you've been stubborn all your life."

 I jokingly nudged him. "Come on now, I have more to show."