Chapter 33

"What the hell is wrong with her?!"

 "Adam, out of all due respect, I think she's sick and tired of hearing us complain. Let's just give her the space she needs."

 "The hell I will. I'm finding her." 

 He grabbed his arm as he went out the door. "She'll be back, I promise." 

 Scowling, Adam finally said, "Fine, Jamie. You have 3 hours to find her. If I find out she's still gone, certain actions will take place." 

He slammed the door behind him, leaving Jamie alone in the middle of the living. Sighing, he sat down on the couch with his head in his hands.

 In town: I went into Tipsy Cow and ordered multiple rounds of beer, venting to Jack. "I'm sorry this happened to ya sweetheart, I thought for sure he likes you." 

 "So did I. He has so many mixed signals and I just..."

 He put his hand on my cheek lightly and looked at me sincerely. "It'll all work out." As I got up to leave, I stumbled before I even reached the door. "I'll take you back." 

"It's okay, Jack. I promise. Thank you."

 "I'll take you back." 

"It's okay, Jack. I promise. Thank you." 

 He sighed. "Be safe." 

 It felt like hours until I finally reached the cabin and stumbled inside, nearly falling. "Charlotte?" I heard the panic and anger in Jamie's voice as he bent down next to me. "Where the HELL were you?" 

 "Drinking away the pain." 

 "You didn't even tell me where you were going!" 

 "I needed some alone time Jamie, to rethink this." 

 "What's to rethink? We're doing this for you."

 "Are you on Adam's side now? Just to solely please him?" 

 "No. That's not true at all!" 

 "I need some space." 

 He scowled and stood up. "Fine. I'll be in the bedroom if you need me." He slammed the bedroom door shut, leaving me all alone laying down on the couch. Tears slid down my face as I finally realized he was ganging up on me with Adam. And here I fucking thought we had a connection.

 An hour later, he came out and sat down at the end of the couch. "Go away."

 He moved closer to her and forced her to look at him. "I'm doing this for your safety." 

 "By ganging up on me?! Jamie, what the hell is wrong with you?!" 

 He stiffened up and moved away from me. "What?" 

 "Nothing." 

 "No. It's not nothing." 

 "It really is. Just forget it."

 "Charlotte, I just...I like the way you say my name. The way your lips form around it is so attractive." 

"What?" 

 "I need to tell you something." 

 "Okay." "I really tried so hard but it's merely impossible to fight it." his voice is barely a whisper. 

"Fight what?"

 "You haven't made it easy for me. Do you know how hard it's been, trying to equal out my job with my feelings?" My heart rate increases as his hand lifts to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. "I can't do it anymore." He paused. "I don't want to." 

 "Jamie, what..." His warm lips are suddenly on mine, shutting me up immediately. Before I can even digest what's happening, he pulls away and smiles. "What just happened?" 

 "For such an intelligent woman, you're so oblivious." 

 I pout and he smiles. "I didn't have a chance in hell, did I?" His hands come around my waist, and he lifts me up so I'm sitting on him. He kisses me, his tongue slipping into my mouth, and all thoughts leave my mind. "Maybe I'm a little better at hiding it than I thought it was."