Chapter 48

"She was arrested? What about Adam? Where's that sly bastard?" 

 "No clue."

 "How did you find out?" 

 "My girlfriend is in the police force. That's how I found out." 

 "Wow."

 "Adam told the police that you overstepped your boundaries and that Tatiana handled it herself because she was jealous of Adam's relationship with Charlotte or something like that. He exaggerated about you basically forcing yourself on her." 

 "What?"

 "According to Adam, she went crazy after you rejected her. He killed her at a cabin in the middle of nowhere to try and fake the death to make it look like an accident." 

 "That's just..." 

 "That's not even half of it." 

 "How did Adam explain her being in the house?" 

 "He claimed she had a change of heart after going after you or something like that. She wanted to beg Adam for forgiveness and turn herself in but when he got home with Tatiana, he blew up at her and accused her." 

 "Things always seem to tie back to that bastard's political career. He'll do anything he can to ruin her life like that."

 "I guess he felt it was a good plot to accuse her for killing Charlotte." 

 "If people found out he was the one who hired me, he doesn't get sympathy votes for a dead wife anymore, he instead gets a crowd doubting his decision-making skills." 

 "Yep."

 "He came out looking like the victim as always." 

Hannah nodded. "He planted the bloody scarf on Tatiana, making it solid evidence." 

 "That son of a bitch."

 "Exactly."

 "How do we get out of this?"

 "We'll wait until she's out of the hospital, I'll make a phone call to Tatiana and we'll crash his little interview at the Matt Murphy Show."

He nodded. "I like the idea of that." 

 After a few hours, he was pacing back and forth until they could release her. The next day, she was cleared to go and Jamie took her back to her parents' house to rest. Hannah came into the bedroom and sat down. "What's up?" 

 "So, Jamie and I developed an idea. He's accusing Tatiana of murdering you, so I made some calls and you two are going to expose who he really is. Adam has an interview at 7 tonight at the Matt Murphy Show." 

 I lit up. "Great idea!"

 *** That night: After resting some more, I headed to the studio and met up with Tatiana. "Standing with me here is Adam Lexington. He has once again agreed to give us an exclusive interview about the recent events." With a careful expression, she places a hand on Adam's knee. "Now, Mr. Lexington, are you sure you're ready to tell the truth?" 

 "I've waited long enough, Olivia. They deserve the truth." 

 Olivia smiles and nods at him. "I couldn't agree more. So, please, tell us what happened on that horrible night." 

 "Well, Olivia, I was out at a business meeting conference when Tatiana Hale broke into my home. Ms. Hale has been my personal assistant for many years now, but I was foolish enough not to realize just how deep her admiration for me was."

 "What exactly are you trying to say, Mr. Lexington? Was your assistant obsessing over you?" 

"Unfortunately, yes. Ms. Hale did something awful. She crossed a line that a human being should never do by taking the life of an innocent person." 

 Gasps go through the audience. "You're saying that Tatiana Hale killed someone?" 

 Adam sighed. "Yes. In my own home. I couldn't believe my own ears when I heard the news, but the evidence was solid." "I can't imagine the pain you must be feeling. Especially with the election being only two days away."

 "I'll be honest with you, the election has been the last thing I want to think about. But I know I can't forget about the responsibilities to my country. I just hope the good people of America can look past all the chaos and vote for the candidate they know will be the best fit." 

Adam turns to the camera and smiles. "If you go to my website, there's more details and information on what I plan to do if I'm re-elected. One of my associates will be passing out my business cards near the exit. Please feel free to email me with any questions or concerns. I'd love to hear your thoughts." 

 Olivia smiles. "Well, I appreciate this, Mr. Lexington."

 "I appreciate you having me." 

 "Oh, before you go, I have a surprise for you." 

 He raises an eyebrow and grins. "You know I love surprises." 

 "It's almost time for us to go on stage." Tatiana said, excitedly. Are you ready for showtime?" 

"More than anything! This prick hurt both of us and many others. It's time we expose the fucker. I can't wait to demand a divorce on live TV. He sure as hell won't know what's coming." 

 "Great!" 

We turn to the cameraman waving at us. "Time to go!" 

 "Joining us tonight are two special guests who have been dying to come on stage and share their side of the story." 

 "Their side?" 

Adam looked around and visibly goes pale when he sees us heading in his direction. "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome Charlotte Lexington and Tatiana Hale!"