Chapter 27

"Oh, are you my next date?"

"Yep. What were you and Jack talking about?"

"He was telling me to stop scaring off all of the eligible bachelors."

Jamie's face softens as he laughs. "I was wondering what happened when your last date ran off like that. What did you say to him?"

"I asked him if it was his bedtime already."

His raised his eyebrows and smirked.

"I wasn't judging him on his age! He called me an "old hen", and he was barely a few years younger. Do I look 50 or something?"

Jamie laughs out loud. "Don't think that. You look young and very stunning."

"Even for an old hen?" I flap my arms like chicken wings.

He laughs again and I laugh with him. I notice how carefree and happy he looks-his eyes are crinkled, and two dimples have appeared on his cheeks. Who knew dimples on a man would be so attractive? "Was he really that bad?"

"I guess he wasn't all bad. He did win last year's tractor race."

"Now you're just making shit up."

I make a cross motion over my chest. "I swear, I'm telling you the truth."

"Jesus, I didn't know the town still holds events like that."

"I guess we've been really missing out."

He smiles and glances around the room. Other couples have started dancing to the music, and I feel myself grin. "Would you like to dance with me Charlotte?"

My eyes flicker back to him. "Really?"

"Only if you want."

"I'd love to." He stands up and holds out a hand to me. I take it and he pulls me up, then guides me over to an open area near the back.

I follow his lead as he places a gentle hand on my lower back while the other holds one of mine. Draping my free hand on his shoulder, I look up at the handsome man in front of and find his eyes already on me. "Giving up on speed dating?"

"It appears so, yes."

"What, have you already found the woman of your dreams tonight?"

He chuckles and shakes his head. "No, I didn't meet her." He gives me a smile and I recognize the glint in his eyes.

Alright, Jamie Garcia... it's on.