Chapter 15

"Can you prove that?" He nods and pulls out his phone. He dials Adam's number and presses the speakerphone button. It rings 4 times before going to voicemail. Jamie shrugs. "He barely answers. He usually sends a text during the day at some point saying he got the call."

"That doesn't sound like him."

"I'm not a kidnapper Charlotte, Jesus." He sounded really offended and hurt.

I took his hands and forced him to look at me. "I believe you."

He smiled. "Good."

"Why would he lie? What does he gain from that?"

"Probably to confuse whoever is behind the threats. If they think you've been kidnapped, then maybe they're not looking hard enough.

"Maybe." Something still doesn't make sense.

My phone rings, startling us both. I get it out of my pocket, but he takes it from me. "Hey! Give it back!"

"Why do you have this here?"

"What century are you living in? It's my phone!"

"Do you not understand what's going on? Someone is trying to kill you! No one can know where you are!"

"And how would they? I haven't told anyone."

"Have you been in contact with anyone?" I feel my face pale. Shit. "My best friend Hannah texted, asking if I was okay. I couldn't ignore her, Jamie."

"Charlotte..."

"Look, I'm sorry but Hannah is really important to me."

"Important enough for you to be dumb? Anyone could have tracked your location!"

"How the hell was I supposed to know that? I'm not an FBI agent." I open my mouth to say something else, but his hand suddenly covers it. I push him away and glare at him.

"Excuse me? You can't just shut me up when I'm talking to you!"

He ignores me, and it's only then I realize he's reading my messages with Hannah. My eyes widen when I remember our conversation about him yesterday. "Warren, stop! Seriously, give it back!"

He doesn't respond. I reach for my phone and somehow end up with my arms pinned behind me. How did he do that so quickly? And with only one hand? Am I really that easy to detain? "Let go of me!"

"She says she's worried about you and wants to know if your gorgeous bodyguard is the one who kidnapped you." He looks at me shortly with a curious look on his face. "You think I'm gorgeous?"

"Yes. So what?" He opens his mouth to say something, but his eyes go back to my phone.

"And she's wondering if you've slept with me yet?" He looks at me weirdly.

"She must've texted the wrong number. I have no idea why she'd ask something like that." I squirm and try to get out of his hold.

"The more you move, the tighter I'll hold you."

I suppose that doesn't sound too bad. "She also says yes..."

"You can stop now!" He looks at the phone like he misread the message. Dread comes over me. Why, Hannah?

"She said it saves money to shower together because it saves water." Please stop. "What does pics or it didn't happen mean?"

"You can't just look at my messages!"

"Yes, I can. I have to make sure you don't reveal any information."

"I would never tell anyone. Do you really think I'm that stupid?"

"Never be too careful. Even the smallest thing can lead to someone finding you."

"This is ridiculous. Why can't you take my word and trust me?" He scrolls up further, ignoring me. I watch with horror as his face goes from confused to shock. Oh, shit. "You can stop now. Clearly nothing has been shared. If you'd just give it back..."

"You've been discussing my package with your best friend?" he raises an eyebrow. "Wait, have you seen my package?"

"No, I haven't seen your pack... Why are we still talking about this?" 

He eyes me suspiciously then releases me. "Are you spying on me when I shower?"

"No! Of course not! I wasn't even the one who brought it up. She was just playing a dumb joke, nothing more."

"A joke?"

"Yes, a joke! There's nothing to get worked up."

"Do I need to lock the door when I'm showering now?"

"You're just mocking me now."

"Well, your location hasn't been compromised so thank you for not telling."

"See, I told you. You should've trusted me instead of invading my privacy."

"Well, you did say you had a bodyguard. But as long as she can stay quiet about it..."

"She will. I trust her with my life."

"I don't like this, but we don't have an option."

"I'm sorry I got you into this."

"It's nothing I can't handle." He stands up and walks to the door with my phone still in his hand.

"Wait! What about my phone?"

"I have to get rid of it." "

What? No, you don't!"

"Yes, I do. Someone could be tracking you."

"But I need to tell Hannah I'm okay!" He suddenly pulls out my SIM card and snaps it in half. "Jamie!" He prevents me from getting my phone. He takes a lighter and the SIM card melts from the flame. He drops it in the trash and breaks my phone in two. What the fuck! I don't say a word; instead, I turn my back to him.

"This is for the best Charlotte. I'm not doing this to hurt you."