Thirteen | DNA

I'm lucky that I'm super ripped so I can carry all my Shreddies into the house

I'm lucky that I'm super ripped so I can carry all my Shreddies into the house. I drop the bags onto the kitchen floor, falling with them. I close my eyes when my back hits the cold wood. "Noah." I freeze, unable to move for a moment before I pop my eyes open, recognizing my mom's voice.

I lift my head, a grin plays on my mouth. "Hi, Mom." Lifting to my feet, I feel a little dizzy. I lean against the kitchen counter, noticing three empty bottles of red wine. "How high are you?" She questions me before downing the rest of her wine.

I show her my five fingers to explain how high I am, but I'm not sure she understands me. "How drunk are you?" I ask her the same question before I grab a box of Shreddies off the floor, ripping it open.

The box tears effortlessly before I grab a handful of the cereal, stuffing it into my mouth. "I hate my life." She says, completely ignoring my question. "This fucking Xanax doesn't even work anymore. Talk about the pill that's supposed to turn unhappy wives, well...happy." She tosses an orange bottle, which I am only just realizing is also here.

"Throw that away for me." I take the bottle, slipping it into my pocket. "I hate your father." I suddenly stand up straight, taking a few steps back. "Why? Newt is so funny!" I let out a laugh, thinking about how funny my dad is. She doesn't seem to agree.

"My girlfriend is going to marry a funny guy," I tell her, playing with my fingers. "Girlfriend?" She questions, raising an eyebrow at me. "Arti Singh is her name." I feel my cheeks heat up just thinking about her.

"Not the point Mom. Back to you. I mean Mom, you married a really funny guy." I struggle to breathe a bit as my laughter just gets louder. She shakes her head at me, lighting a cigarette and letting puffs of smoke cloud the air.

When my eyes meet hers, my stomach drops like it always does and my laughter stop. "I would've married a much funnier guy if it wasn't for you." I stop and look at her confused as a slow frown spreads onto her face. What the hell is she talking about?

I close my eyes, my heart beating so fast I can hear it in my ears. She takes a drag of her cigarette, narrowing her eyes at me. What could I have possibly done? "I was in love, back in Portugal." My mother smiles to herself. "His name was-"

"You dated other men!" I cut her off, slamming my hands on the table in complete shock. I just can't believe it. I thought my parents dated each other and that's it. No ex's.

My mother takes a deep breath through her nose before she continues. "His name was Silvino Mendes." Her smile just grows wider and it makes me happy to see my mom smile even though I can barely see her.

"And you ended up with a dude named Newt." I try holding back my laughter. "Imagine that, Noah Mendes. It's got a ring to it." Nodding a few times and my mother rolls her eyes at me. I need to get higher, I can feel it wearing off.

"Noah-" she scoffs, but then says. "never mind. It doesn't matter to the story. Your father used to eye me a lot. At parties-"

"You partied!" I cut her off again, stuffing more Shreddies into my mouth. "Noah!" My mother yells, causing me to take two steps back.