Sixty-seven | i'm sorry

The following chapter contains graphic depictions of suicide and violence, which some readers may find disturbing.

Reader discretion is advised.

A few more codes

A few more codes. That's all I have and if it doesn't work, I'll give up. I'll try and beat this instead. "Zero-four-one-one." I hear the safe click as I turn the knob before I pull on the handle and it doesn't budge.

I lift the pen and scratch the code out. "Not his own birthday." I sigh as I try the next code. Time seems to stretch endlessly as I lose myself in the rhythmic dance of the tumblers. "One-zero-zero-three." I hunch over the safe, my fingers delicately caressing the cold numbers. Each click reverberates through the silence, echoing my determination. "Guess it's not my birthday." I sigh, moving onto Norah's birthday.

"One-seven-zero-nine." With each rotation, I sense the tension mounting, anticipation hanging thick in the air. My mind races, analyzing every subtle nuance, every tiny movement of the dial. "Fuck." I whisper under my breath as I move onto my last choice in numbers. "Two-three-zero-two." Sweat beads on my brow as I meticulously manipulate the combination, searching for that elusive moment of alignment.

And, finally, a faint click breaks the stillness, sending a surge of adrenaline coursing through my veins. With bated breath, I turn the handle, heart pounding in my chest, and as the door swings open, a triumphant grin spreads across my face. "Well, dad," I talk to myself. "It's rude for you to put your dead daughter's birthday as your office safe code." I shake my head, reaching into the safe.

I move the stacks of cash out of the way, pulling out passports, important documents until my hand touches a familiar item. Quickly, I pull it out to see my iPhone 6. No fucking ways!

Shoving the phone into my back pocket, I pull out the small black case. My heart pounds out of my chest as I pull it out.

With a steady hand, I reach for the latch of the case, my breath held in anticipation. The metal clicks as I flip it open, revealing my dad's sleek black 9mm pistol nestled within the velvet lining. My fingers instinctively wrap around the grip, feeling the weight and power it holds. As I lift it out, a surge of fear courses through me, knowing that this weapon will be the end. This is it. This is determines the future of everyone who is important to me.

I slide the firearm into the back waistband of my jeans as I hide it with my t-shirt. I dart my eyes to the door, leaving the safe open and everything out as I make my way out.

I gulp, shutting the door behind me and making my way down the dimly lit hall with my heart in my throat.

I chew the inside of my cheek, unsure if this is actually what I want. I killed a girl tonight and even though she deserved it, I still feel like this might could've been different. Arti is laying lifeless on the ground outside of her burning house at the moment and I did that. Not Ravi. Me.