Fifty | Holi

Shit, how did I get here? I've been home for a few days and I'm already at a function

Shit, how did I get here? I've been home for a few days and I'm already at a function. Well, it's not exactly a function, it's Holi. The Hindu festival, also known as the Festival of Colors. Nida told me it signifies the victory of good over evil and they celebrate it with vibrant colors, water balloons, and festive gatherings.

People are running around, throwing powder everywhere as I search for Nida has wandered away from me with her brother.

I walk further into the festival, my eyes wandering everywhere for her. I tried screaming her name, but I could barely hear my own voice over the music and screams.

I can't help but admire the vibrant attire of the people, embraced the kaleidoscopic spectacle of Holi.

Before I know it, I feel something hit the back of my head and water splashes everywhere. I spin around, looking for where it came from. Then there's water spraying on my left. I spin again and finally my eyes land on Nida, holding a hosepipe as she laughs. "Hey!" I cover my face. "Nida!"

She laughs hysterically at me, not putting the hose down. until she notices me walking closer to her. Her face drops and so does the hose before she makes a run for it.

I chase after her, deeper into the festival. She screams in fear, speeding past hundreds of people. I see a basket of pink powder sitting on the side and grab a handful. She glances at me with her smile never fading. She needs to learn that every time she glances back, it gives me an opportunity to catch her.

I grab her waist, smashing her face with a burst of pink. She retaliates with a swirl of blue, and soon, our laughter resonates like a joyous melody. The aroma of traditional Holi delicacies wafts through the air, enticing us to savor the sweetness. She then grabs a packet of orange powder and without hesitation, she chucks it at my face.

She then sprints towards her brother, hiding behind him. Rohan looks around confused and when he opens his mouth to speak, Nida pops her head up and I chick the purple powder at them. Rohan spits purple powder out of his mouth, moving away from Nida. "It's in my mouth!" He screams, running towards the drink bar. He grabs a copper cup of a light green drink, pouring it in his mouth.

Nida's eyes goes wide and she slaps the cup out of his hand. "That's bhang lassi!" She screams at him and takes a step back from the drink. Nida walks up to me, grabbing my arm and pulling me away from the drinks. "You also can't have bhang lassi."

I look behind me, interested in it. "It's a cannabis drink and you," she looks at the length of my body. I place my hands on my hips with a stank face on. "What are you implying?"

She crosses her arms over her chest, putting all her weight on one leg and giving me the same look. "You know exactly what I'm implying."

"Are you implying that I'm some sort of junkie because if you are, I don't think this friendship is going to work anymore." I look to my side to see a platter of yellow powder. I take the platter and chuck the powder at her face. I drop the platter onto the floor once I see her furious face and I quickly run away.