Fifty-eight | Teen Romance

My hands are trembling as I hold back the tears that are fighting to flow down my cheeks

My hands are trembling as I hold back the tears that are fighting to flow down my cheeks. "So," I sniffle, making sure he doesn't notice my stress. "The X equals... something times the square root of... something." My eyes look up at Noah as he leans down on his desk, his eyes on the paper with dozens of sums on it. "I give up!" I drop the pencil, covering my face with my hands as I cry.

Noah places his hand in my back, stroking it back and down as it is a way to comfort me. He picks up the pencil, moving a few numbers around until he gets the answer. I cry even louder at how attractive it is that he is good at math. "Don't worry, you'll get it." I shake my head, already predicting my future.

Noah has agreed to tutor me math as finals makes its way around the corner and I am horrendous at this subject. The numbers make no sense. The formulas are even worst. However, Noah gets straight A's in maths without even studying for the test. He's naturally good. "I'm going to fail and then I won't graduate high school which means my parents will kick me and then I'll be homeless and I'll have no choice but to become a stripper." I muffle my cries with my hands, dropping my head onto the desk with a big bang.

He drops the pencil, rubbing my arm lightly. "That's dramatic, flores." I lift my head, blowing my hair out of my face. "It's not dramatic! It's the truth." I roll my eyes as he drops down so he's eye level with me. "I promise you that you're going to pass this exam. Actually, I promise you'll get the highest grade in your class." His lip tugs up into a big smile.

As I sit in front of him, I can't help my enjoy the warmth that radiates from his smile. It is like a beacon of joy in my world, illuminating every moment we have shared together. His eyes sparkle with genuine happiness, it's a reflection of his inner light, and the curve of his lips is so infectious that it make my heart skip a beat.

I feel a wave of calm wash over me, soothing my worries and quieting the chaos of the world around me. I can't help, but feel my own lips lifting up into a small grin. It's not like his ear to ear one, but it is genuine. "Ha!" He snaps his fingers in my face which gets me to leap back. "Got you to smile without even trying!" He stands up straight, shooting his hand up in victory. I throw my head back with an annoyed groan. "Āṭalō mōṭō bakavāsa." [Such a big snob.] I whisper under my breath.

He quickly spins around, pointing his finger at me. "Hey! I am not a snob!" I groan again. I forgot he understands more Gujarati than I do. The very limited words I know, he understands. I blame Rohan. "Fine, you're not a big snob, you're a prideful snob." He crosses his arms over his chest, thinking deeply about what I've said. "I'll accept it."

He walks back over to the desk, grabbing a stack of papers and flipping through them. He squints, moving the page back and forward. I stare at him with confusion as he drops his hands down quickly. "Screw this!" He storms over to his side table, pulling open the top draw and rummaging through it. I spin the chair around, crossing my arms over my chest as I lean back into the chair. I'm unable to see what he's doing until he spins around with a pair of glasses resting on the bridge of his nose.