40. My Friend Tests a Theory

I'm posting these chapters a few minutes before midnight, even though this is scheduled to be the first chapter I share on April 1st. Posting early should mean that I can start working on my new book on the dot at midnight, so wish me luck!

This chapter is dedicated to Clinton, with thanks for all the support you have given me!

"Okay, time to wake up!" I was already awake, but I kept my eyes closed. I wondered how long it would take Mummy to realise that I wasn't asleep now. I thought that it would be funny, like hiding somewhere so I could surprise her, except now I was hiding right where she could see me. "Come on girls, we've got lots of fun things to do this afternoon."

I smiled when I thought about it. Of course, Penny had asked to take a nap with me, and pretend she was a little baby too. And we would have so much fun if she wanted to keep on playing baby. I was looking forward to it already, and I couldn't wait to wake up. But from what Mummy said, it sounded like Penny was pretending to sleep as well, and I wanted to see which of us could pretend the longest. That was so exciting. It was hard to keep from giggling, and I must have been grinning like an idiot, but maybe Mummy would think I was just having a very nice dream.

"Oh dear, Reggie," she said. "It looks like the babies are both still asleep. We'll have to go by ourselves. Or maybe you can help me?"

I did my best, but a little chuckle escaped, and then I felt something fluffy brush the bottom of my foot. And then there were fingertips. I couldn't keep my eyes closed anymore; and I couldn't hide the laughter. Seconds later I was whooping in excitement, trying to catch my breath enough to beg Mummy to stop, while she mercilessly tickled my feet. I couldn't pull them away fast enough, and Mummy had a secret weapon which made the feelings so much more intense. It turned out that although Reggie was a very well-behaved cuddly giraffe, the fuzzy tufts of hair sticking out of his ears were just perfect for tickling with. Seconds later I was trying to back away, squealing with laughter, while Penny sat on the edge of the bed and giggled at my plight. I wasn't surprised when all the tickling made me pee a few seconds later; but that wasn't such a big deal now.

"I think we're a..." she said, then looked a little confused for a second. I couldn't pay too much attention, but Mummy's head turned in her direction as she finished: "...a...wake now?"

"Oh, yes you are," Mummy answered, and finally stopped the torment of tickles. "You okay, Penny?"

"Yeah," she grinned. "I... uhh... the words. It's... hard?"

"Okay," Mummy said. "I told you it might get harder to think a little. Are you feeling okay with that for now?"

Penny just nodded, and I could see that the smile on her face was almost as big as mine. I was a little bit puzzled then, because I wasn't sure why she would be confused. She was just playing along, wasn't she?

"Okay then. Let's get you two into clean diapers for the rest of the afternoon, then. Alice, honey, do you think you can be good while I change Penny first?"

"Yeah!" I said. I had lots of other friends to play with, after all. I had all the dolls in my crib now, and I was sure that they could keep me busy so I wasn't getting in the way. As it turned out, I thought that Farah might need a diaper change as well. I didn't have any doll-sized diapers, but I could just pretend, and I could look across at Penny and Mummy if I needed a reminder of how to do it. By the time we'd finished, I was also wondering just how much I was playing along. My head felt a little bit fuzzy, but not very much, and I was sure I could have passed for a big girl right now if I wanted to. My diapers had rainbows on today, while Penny had a princess one. I didn't know what I'd been wearing before naptime, or what wipes Mummy had used, but I thought that I didn't really know. It was nice to be surprised by everything, to not understand what was going on, and most of all I loved the fact that I didn't need to know. But I thought I knew that the rainbows were the ones that would make it easier to sleep like a baby tonight; making sure that I slept deeply and just let things happen. So... I was mostly thinking for myself now, or just playing along. Like Penny, maybe, just a little fuzzy from the wipes.