63. Mummy Takes Control

This bonus chapter is dedicated to Morgy, with thanks for supporting me on Patreon this morning. Thank you!

When I woke up it took a few minutes for all the memories to come rushing back. I stretched and snuggled my toys, and let my mind drift without really thinking about anything for a couple of minutes. But it didn't take long for me to realise that my crib was in the lounge today, and to remember that all my little friends were coming to visit.

I sat up, excited to see what we were going to play today. And then suddenly remembered what Monique had tried to do to Sarah. It was hard to believe that she would be so cruel when she barely even knew Scott and Sarah. She'd put the sleeping drops in everyone's hot chocolate except her own, presumably hoping to knock out Scott and Sarah before Mum came home. And once those thoughts flooded my mind, I couldn't look forward to having fun anymore. I just didn't know what we were going to do. I thought I'd done the right thing so far; warning them about the drinks as soon as I could talk to them without Monique present. I'd had to keep on drinking my own chocolate, to avoid it being too obvious that we knew something was wrong, but I could sip it slowly until Mummy got home. And I thought now that if I hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to sleep at all. It was hard to believe just how strange everything felt this morning. I was sure I'd absorbed lots of the drugs, but my brain didn't feel as fuzzy as it should, and I didn't want to deal with so many thoughts right now.

I stretched, and found that the bars on my crib were latched up so that I couldn't easily disengage them. Well, that was only natural; Sarah probably hadn't known if I was going to wake up with a full baby brain. I could probably have stood well enough to release the catches, but I didn't want to be awake now. Instead I lay back, kicked my legs in the air, and hugged all of my toys as close as I could until the door opened.

"Hello, baby girl." It was Scott's voice this morning, and I peeked out from behind my mini mountain of plush to give him a cheerful wave.

"How are you feeling today?" he asked. "I got a good night's sleep, all considered. I guess a few sips of whatever she was giving us was enough to dispel the worries awhile. How about you? Head still clear today?"

"Yeah," I mumbled, and then pouted theatrically. "Slept well enough. But not feeling very baby." And then I hesitated, not quite sure what to say. How much did Scott actually know?

"It's okay," he said. "Sarah told me... some of the stuff. Last night, after you were in bed. About that stuff Monique tried to dose her with, and what it's supposed to do. I guess she managed it the last time she brought her kids to stay. And I have to thank you for looking out for your big sister. All the times I've worried about you, making sure you're okay, I guess... I never expected you would be able to protect us as well. Thanks."

"Yeah. And I'm sorry about... like... making you look after me. I mean, I could..."

"You could have looked after yourself?" he said. "Like you used to last year, doing the chores whenever Sarah had a lazy day. Yeah, you could. But you shouldn't have to. And... well, I've always wanted to have kids, and I probably won't be able to in the future. So looking after a little baby, well, it's not something you have to feel guilty for. It makes my day when I see you so happy and carefree, and now I know it's something you can escape when you're ready, I don't have to feel bad for you. So any time you want to be the baby, I'm happy to be here for you."

"Thank you," I said, and I found I could smile again. That was one of the things I had really been worrying about. But it wasn't the big one. "What about Monique?"

"She's in the spare crib," Mummy said, and my eyes lit up when I saw her enter the room. I'd missed her last night, and I was glad that she didn't seem too upset. "You were right, of course. She didn't want to talk to me, so I decided to find out more about that stuff she was carrying by trying it on her. Give her a taste of her own medicine. Literally."