6

"We haven't been able to pick up the Avatar's trail since the storm, but if we continue heading northeast ..." A larger Fire Nation ship pulls up next to theirs.

"What do they want?"

"Perhaps, a sporting game of Pai Sho!" Iroh said causing me to laugh. A messenger from the other ship enters Zuko's ship, followed by two soldiers. He presents a wanted poster with an illustration of Aang and his glider. Zuko observes with his arms crossed.

"The hunt for the Avatar has been given prime importance. All information regarding the Avatar must be reported directly to Admiral Zhao." The messenger said. Then turned to me. "It's also been announced, Princess Hai, your return to the Fire Nation is to happen by end of week."

"Zhao has been promoted? Well, good for him!" As Iroh makes a move in his Pai Sho game, another player slaps his hand against his own forehead as if he lost. I frowned and shook my head.

"I will not be returning. My husband is here and it is customary for a wife to remain by her husband, especially during banishment." Zuko looked at me.

"I've got nothing to report to Zhao. Now get off my ship and let us pass."

"Admiral Zhao is not allowing ships in or out of this area. Princess Hai you are to return to the fire nation by the fire lords command." I frowned.

"I will not be. You may inform the Fire Lord of my decision to stay beside Prince Zuko. If I am to be forced to leave I promise I won't hold back and will stand my ground." The messenger nodded slightly.

"Off my ship!" The messenger and the soldiers leave immediately.

"Excellent! I take the pot!" Iroh exclaimed as he won, a crew member punches himself. "But you're all improving! I'm certain you will win if we play again."

"Prince Zuko, that command didn't come from the Fire Lord." I said looking at him. "Zhao is intending to take me from you as payback for his defeat."

"He won't touch you." Zuko said calmly. "I'm sending you with the avatar and his friends once I find him." He said looking down at me. "I would like to keep you away from Zhao."

"Sending me with the avatar. What is it you want me to do?"

"Be safe."

"Something's wrong." I said. "Is this about the storm?"

"Your sister saved you. I may have pulled you from the water but you weren't breathing. The girl moved the water from your lungs."

"You want me to go with them, for how long?"

"Trust me. I'll see you again." He said before walking away.

"Iroh, may I play you?" I said softly. He smiled and nodded. I sat on my knees in front of him. "It's been awhile, I might be confused for a moment so first game is just warmup."

"Of course. As you are the challenger, I will make the first move."

Moments later I had not only won the warm up but three games after. I knew I had shocked not only the crew but Iroh. His eyes had never looked away from a single move.

"Princess, I am impressed. Where did you learn to play?"

"Watching you, General Iroh." He gave a heart laugh. "Could we play in private?"

"Of course." He said before dismissing everyone. The table now clear. Before he could say anything I placed the lotus tile in the middle.

"I see you favor the white lotus gambit. Not many still cling to the ancient ways." He cups his hands towards me.