11

When we finally reach the nearest village, I peaked through a window. One doctor is treating a man with what appears to be a cupping treatment. The man grits his teeth in pain.

"This way." I said as we walked in. Moments later a girl is treating Iroh's allergic reaction. Zuko is seated on a bench, holding my hand tightly as if a way to control his anger.

"You three must not be from around here. We know better than to touch the White Jade, much less make it into tea and drink it." She smacks Iroh's hand away when he scratches his rash.

"Whoops!"

"So where are you traveling from?"

"Our village was destroyed by the fire nation years ago. It wasn't ever really a village it was just where orphans or families who lost everything went." I said before Zuko could say anything. "My name is Kya." I lied using my mothers name.

"Do you two have names?"

"Names? Of course we have names." She turns to see Iroh scratching and glares at him, before slapping his hand away. "I'm, uh ... Lee and this is my Uncle, uh ... Mushi?"

"Yes, my nephew was named after his father, so we just call him Junior." Iroh leans over to the side to give Zuko a pleased smile. Zuko glares angrily at Iroh and moves his finger across his neck signaling that he's dead meat, but abruptly halts and puts his hands behind his back when she turns to look at him.

"Kya, Mushi, and Junior, huh. My name is Song. You three look like you could use a good meal." She slaps Iroh's hand away when he goes to scratch his rash. "Why don't you stay for dinner?"

"Sorry, but we need to be moving on."

"That's too bad." Song gives an innocent smile. "My mom always makes too much roast duck." I sighed knowing Iroh can never refuse a good roast duck.

"Where do you live exactly?"

*short skip*

That night the three of us are sitting around Song's kitchen table. I grabbed Zuko's hand and nervously fiddled with his fingers.

"My daughter tells me you're refugees. We were once refugees ourselves." Song's mother said setting down a tray of roast duck.

"When I was a little girl, the Fire Nation raided our farming village. All the men were taken away. That was the last time I saw my father."

"I haven't seen my father in many years."

"Oh, is he fighting in the War?" I frowned asZuko hesitates. Iroh is seen slurping up a bowl of noodles.

"Yeah." Zuko looks away in dismay.

"What about you Kya? You mentioned orphans earlier?"

"Well, my mother was killed in front of me by fire nation soldiers. I was taken from my tribe presumed to be a water bender. When they found out I was a non bender I was dumped like trash." I said. "I don't know if the rest of my family is alive." Zuko looked at me and then pulled his hand away. I looked up at him and smiled. "But I have Lee and Mushi. I'm perfectly content." I leaned over and kissed Zuko's cheek.

"Oh...so you and Lee are?" I nodded and looked back at her smiling brightly.

"I'm going to step outside. Excuse me." Zuko said standing up. I frowned and looked at him as he walked out to the front porch.

*3rd POV*

Zuko is sitting on Song's front porch. Song comes outside and sits beside him.

"Can I join you? I know what you've been through. We've all been through it. The Fire Nation has hurt you." She reaches out to touch his scar only to have Zuko push her hand away. "It's okay. They've hurt me, too." Song pulls up pants leg to reveal burn scars on her leg. Zuko casts her a surprised look upon seeing this.

"I don't let anyone touch me besides Kya." Zuko said.

"I'm sorry." Song said before standing up and entering her house.

Zuko and Iroh preparing to depart from Song's house. They stand outside, dozens of fireflies in the air. Hai was stood away from the men catching the fireflies around her.

"Thank you for the duck. It was excellent." Iroh said.

"You're welcome. It brings me pleasure to see someone eat my cooking with such ... gusto."

"Much practice." Zuko turns to leave.

"Junior, where are your manners? You need to thank these nice people."

"Thank you." Zuko said turning and bowing before approaching Hai.

As the trio set off to leave, Zuko stops as he comes across two ostrich horses. Quietly, he walks over to the animals, unfastens them from the post and leads them away.

*Hai's POV*

"Zuko?" I mumbled he didn't say anything just gave one to his uncle and put me on one before climbing behind me.

"Where'd you get the name Kya?" Zuko asked as we trotted away. I paused and noticed Iroh looking at me curiously.

"My mothers name." I said before looking away. "The story was true mostly. I was right there when the man killed my mother."

"Hai." Iroh said.

"I knew your story Zuko. Iroh everyone knows yours but mine was never told." I paused and leaned against Zuko. "The fire nation invaded my tribe looking for the last water bender. Katara, my twin sister. Instead my mother lied saying it was her to protect Katara. She asked them to take her as a prisoner and leave the village alone."

"He didn't do that."

"No, as soon as the invasion has started me and Katara ran home. I was the one that stayed when it happened. The man didn't hesitate and cut her down right in front of me. And I fought back. Anger and hurt. My flames were blue. I didn't think anything of it at the time but he thought I was a miracle. No one had blue flames, besides Azula."

"He took you."

"When I woke up I was on the ship tied up. Bread and water. The bare minimum. When we reached the fire nation..I met your father. The man who killed my mother had me fight him in front of the fire lord to show off my bending. And he said if I ever want to see my family again to stop fighting. To marry his son because he needs a strong person."

"You've known since day one you'd be my bride."

"I did. I planned on hating you. Never imagined I'd fall in love with you." I said before yawning.

"We should go back to our camp for the night." Iroh said. "Thank you for telling us Hai."

*short skip*

"Where are you going?" I mumbled feeling him move away from me.

"No where, I wouldn't leave you." I frowned and rubbed my eyes sitting up. "We are leaving soon." He leaned down and kissed my head as he went and began packing our items.