c h a p t e r 1

Sweat dripped down my forehead, and my heart felt like I was on fire

Sweat dripped down my forehead, and my heart felt like I was on fire. I was burning, pulsing, I was alive. I ignored the ache and the pains in my legs, in my thighs and kept pushing. I sprinted down my Beverley Hills Street, dodging the squirts of water coming from garden sprinklers. My house, or should I say Alicia's brand new mansion, loomed in the distance, tall and grand. It screamed money and power and 'I've-got-a-gold-digging-wife.' I slowed down as I came closer and jogged down the mile-long driveway, this time running through the garden sprinklers to cool off. Alicia didn't need to know that I was stepping on her precious lawn. I reached my bedroom, otherwise known as La Garage, and stripped completely naked once the door shut, dropping my damp clothes on the ground and made my way into my steamy shower.

My short-lived peace was interrupted within five minutes of quiet due to the blaring speakerphone in my bedroom.

"Taylor! The girls need their breakfast now, are you trying to sabotage their Cheerleading competition!"

Refusing the urge to just ignore Alicia, I turned off my radio and slipped a baggy baseball t-shirt over my head along with black leggings and a pair of white high cut Converses. I ran inside the mansion after the butler, Stevie, let me in. Hurrying into the empty kitchen I pulled out the many utensils and ingredients I would need to satisfy the morning monsters - or maybe just monsters in general.

The girl's, Stacey and Bianca, didn't actually wake up and make their way downstairs until forty-five minutes later, where piles and piles of fattening chocolate chip pancakes and cream along with all their favourite toppings waited for them on the grand dining room table. They were piling the plates up, without a thank you or a 'morning' might I add, before the Prima donna herself glided down the ridiculously long stairs.

I waited by the door of the kitchen as she sat down; making sure everything was to her approval. She scrutinized the dining table before she looked up at me and spat out, "Taylor, I told you that if your running interferes with your responsibilities you will have to stop."

I nodded quietly as the girls snickered, and turned and left the kitchen again. She was crazy if she thinks I would give up running to do my chores. I plugged the blender in and tossed a whole array of fruits along with organic yogurt, honey and almonds before whipping myself up a fruit thick shake. Pouring my heaven into a portable cup I ran back down to my bedroom to get myself organised for school, this pretty much consisted of putting my white-blonde hair up in a messy bun and dumping all the books and textbooks I needed into my Kanken. I kissed the frame of my dad next to my bed goodbye, plugged my iPod in blaring Disclosure, and grabbed my longboard ready to skate out of the place I lived in but did not call home.

It wasn't until I reached the end of the driveway when Stacey and Bianca drove past, beeping their horn on their stupid neon green Volkswagen Bug. They sped off and I prayed to whoever could hear me that they would be pulled over and fined. And maybe locked away; for life.