c h a p t e r 2 5

unedited. 

He had to sit down and pulled me down next to him on the ledge. It was a good thing I wasn't scared of heights.

"Alicia is your stepmother isn't she?" He quietly asked but I could hear the anger in his tone. I nodded, "She was there at the talent show with Stacey, and saw us backstage," I whispered to him.

"So you went and met with her," it wasn't a question, just a confirmation of what he already expected.

"She said I had to say goodbye to you," I muttered.

He looked at me annoyed, "You don't have to do everything she tells you to do. You are your own person. Stop worrying about other people, especially when they evidently don't seem to give a crap about your own wellbeing Tay," I flinched at the truth he spoke but I knew he was right.

I nodded my head, "She said that she would make sure that I wouldn't be accepted into any university that I applied for. She would make sure of it. I know she has connections," I muttered weakly in defence.

He squeezed my hand, "You're one of the smartest girls I know. You'll be able to get accepted anywhere, even with scholarships. There's only so much she can do."

I knew he was right. But at this point, I wasn't even worried about me and my future anymore. I was worried about his.

"She also said that she would ruin you," I said quietly and I felt him tense beside me.

"Alicia has no power over me Tay, I don't know how she thinks she would be able to ruin me," he says.

I shake my head, "She said that you will lose everything you've worked for if you're seen with me," I say firmly, "And she's right, being caught with me behind the scenes will damage your reputation on the show and in person."

He looks at me for a solid minute, I waiver from his stare and look at the ground. It sounded a lot worse when she said it the first time. Now it just sounded a bit ridiculous.

"None of that matters Tay," he says, "It's all just a show after all."

"I know," I muttered, "She said that it would ruin your boxing career though because you broke the rules. And I didn't want your dad to hate me. Alicia's very persuasive and manipulative and she would have done something to get your dad to hate me. She would paint me out to be a gold digger or an attention seeker or something. And then your dad would hate me because he wants you to settle down with someone who is good for you," I muttered.

He cupped my cheek and made me look up at him. His eyes held a mix of emotions from frustration to adoration, "I'm glad that you care so much what my dad thinks baby, but you don't have to worry about that. I know that you're not and when he meets he will know as well. All that matters is that we know the truth and the people we actually care about know the truth. Who cares what anyone else thinks."

Years of insecurity and verbal abuse came flying to surface, all the words that my stepfamily said to me, all the words that people at school said, floated to my head in that second and I couldn't stop the tear that was trickled down my face.

"Your own parents couldn't stand you. That's why your dad joined the army, to get away from you."

"Your mum saw your face and was so scared that's why she died."

"You're disgusting."

"She only cuts her self for attention. I hope she accidentally cuts too far."

"All you are is our maid, and that's all you're going to be for the rest of your pathetic. A maid to people who are million times better than you."