c h a p t e r 6

Mornings in Miami are probably one of my most favourite moments

Mornings in Miami are probably one of my most favourite moments. The sun beaming through the wide hotel window and warming up my skin early in the morning soothes and calms me down. It's refreshing and it's my most favourite way of being woken up. This morning was like every other, the sunshine reflecting off of my white sheets. I pulled my laptop out and checked my blog, seeing people reply and really care and think about the content I posted. Fifteen minutes later after slipping on a sports crop top, some running shorts and sneakers I left the room with earphones pumping out an awesome Selena Gomez remix Jordan had made for me. Once I left the hotel, the humid atmosphere was unforgiving yet strangely pleasant at the same time. Especially as I found the boardwalk, right next to the sea where I began my morning jog. The sea mist hitting and cooling my skin down as I ran through the pressing matters in my mind.

Forty-five minutes later I was back where I began, sweat dripping off of my skin, my hair in a messy pony tail and my face flushed red. My thighs were burning and the skin around my stomach. Ultimately, I was gross and needed a shower ASAP. Fortunately, I avoided contact with any human beings on the way back to my hotel room. Jasmine was still asleep in her bed as I ran for the shower. Once I was dressed in a more appropriate attire; a black tube top which stuck to my body like a second skin, high waisted floral shorts and a pair of white converses I was ready for human contact.

Once Jasmine awoke and got dressed we headed downstairs for the optional communal breakfast with the other girls. Let me tell you, they have a lot of muesli and it's the greatest thing on the planet. Once we entered the makeshift cafeteria though, there was a sense of fear and stress. I realised then and there that it was Sunday, which meant that fifty girls tonight will be sent back to their homes. I felt a little sick in the stomach. I wasn't ready to go home. I was having way too much fun in Miami, enjoying the surf, the heat and the people – well most people. I was enjoying having time away from Alicia and her high pitched voice. And even though they were here, I barely saw Stacey and Bianca which I was so grateful. I did not want to go back to the Beverley Hell Hole. Miami became my home away from 'home' in a matter of a few days.

The anxiety kind of hit me all at once, the panic seeping into veins instantly and I knew I need to get out. The idea of leaving this idea of heaven and returning back to the worst place on earth shook me to the core and I was scared. I was scared of Alicia, of the twins, of fighting other amazing people to win money to survive on my own. I ran out of the cafeteria, trying to calm my breathing. My mind was whirling too fast for my body but I tried to keep myself upright, concentrating on my breathing. I managed to walk outside and make it across the courtyard to the gym.

In, out... in, out... in, out...

The scent of the gym flooded my senses as I entered, a warm hug from something familiar. I made my way over to the boxing bag and swung. Right hook, left, 1,2,3 repeat. The beat of my fists punching bag, slowed the beat of my heart down and soon they were working together in rhythm. My head soon cleared up as I began to settle into a regular breathing pattern. I let out all the leftover adrenalin onto the bag until my muscles ached too much. Pausing for a deep breath I took in my surroundings. A few girls with headphones in running on the treadmills, a few on the bikes. Some guys were on the weight machines but in general, the place was thankfully pretty empty. I stayed in the gym for another half hour before leaving quickly. After showering for the second time, I found Jordan lounging around on my bed.

"Are you ok?" She asks, concern lacing her voice. She was the only one who knew about the occasional panic attacks. I nodded, "Yeah, I'll be alright."

***

Limos lined the street outside the hotel quarters and we were ushered as groups into the fancy stretch vehicles, their engines purring ready to take us down to the Hub. The dress code was Little Black Dress, so we were all so similar, yet so different. The ten-minute trip down to the Hub was exhilarating and completely nerve wracking. I didn't know being on this show could mean so much. Once we arrived we were given our numbers again and brought to the large production room. Rows and rows of a hundred chairs with numbers were lined up neatly, circling around a small black stage. Marcus appeared, surrounded by manic assistants and stylists.

"Welcome girls, go find your seat which has the number you were given."

It was chaos trying to get through the rows with this many girls but eventually I found my seat in the middle somewhere. It was about an hour wait until all the lights dimmed except for the stage lights and the director called action.

"Welcome everybody to the first eliminations of The Search for Cinderella. Tonight, fifty girls will be unfortunately leaving us. Without a moment long, let me introduce Noah James, USA's finest young boxer!"

The girls clapped and cheered as the brooding teenager walked out down the middle aisle to the stage

The girls clapped and cheered as the brooding teenager walked out down the middle aisle to the stage. Marcus clapped him on his back like a side bro hug. Noah gave the audience and cameras a hint of a smile as they carried on.

Soon, a tray of ten white roses was handed to Noah, to be given to the first ten girls who were being eliminated. He started with one section. The music was tense and you could feel the tension among all the girls. He slowly walked around and soon ten girls were sobbing hysterically while ninety others breathed relief. After the girls were supported out a musical item was performed on stage and ad breaks ran. This continued throughout the rest of the night, ten girls eliminated in each turn. When he came to my section my heart performed little flips inside my chest. He walked past my row and slowed down when he came near me. He looked me in the eye and I winced a little bit. But then he kept walking and stopped at the girl next to me, handing her a rose. I couldn't hear her cries though; my heart was pounding a bit too fast. I was safe. I was going through the next round.

A/N: QOTU: Favourite flowers and why?