c h a p t e r 2 7

I couldn't stop looking at my dad. I just couldn't believe he was here again, in San Diego, with me and Noah. I think he caught me staring at him a few times too many, but he just smiled at me and squeezed my hand reminding me that he was really here.

We were now sitting in a coffee shop by the coastline. I was sitting next to dad and he had his arm around my shoulders while he sipped on his long black coffee. With no sugar. I wrinkled my nose when he ordered it. Every time that I had made him the same coffee at home when I was younger I would do the same. I sipped on my hazelnut hot chocolate while dad chatted with Noah. It made me so happy seeing them get along so well.

It turns out that Noah's dad's younger brother was enlisted in the army as well. And somehow, he managed to get through to my dad, explain the show and fly him back just for me. It was honestly one of the most beautiful things someone could do for me and I would be eternally grateful to Noah. He knew how much my dad meant to me.

It was just like old times. My dad would tease me and I would either roll my eyes or poke him in his rib cage while giggling trying to get him to stop. He didn't stop though.

After we had lunch, the camera crew joined us as the three of us strolled along the sandy shores of San Diego. We ventured our way up to a lookout where my dad and I would always sit at the end of every week to catch up. Since I never knew my mother, my dad was all I got, so of course, we were close – he was my best friend.

 Since I never knew my mother, my dad was all I got, so of course, we were close – he was my best friend

After the sun had set, we found the house we used to live at. When dad landed in the US he had called the real estate agent straight away to see if the house had sold after Alicia decided she wanted to move out. Fortunately, it was still on the market so Noah had gotten a copy of the key and we were able to go in. Stepping into the little cottage brought back so many memories of my childhood, I couldn't stop the one lone tear that trickled down my cheek. I was so happy to be back inside, even though it was empty and slightly musty. Noah wrapped an arm around my waist, after checking the cameras were off us and pressed a light kiss to my temple. I smiled up at him, "Thank you so much, Noah, for everything," I utter sincerely.