c h a p t e r 18

For the first time in a while, I dressed in layers on your usual hot Miami morning. Why? Because I wanted as much extra padding as possible. I had put on a camp jersey over another long sleeve shirt underneath along with thick black tracksuit pants and black converses. I probably was going to melt but at least it would be slightly less painful. Today was paintball day.

After a filling breakfast, twenty of us, along with a few crew members that were filming, were herded onto another bus and we were off to Extreme Rage Paintball Park. The drive took about thirty minutes from Miami beach and Marcus spent most of the time on the bus hyping us up, "Get ready for war!" He kept cheering.

Finally, we arrived at the park and Noah was already there dressed in all black, suited up and ready to go. The crew had already set up their cameras and lights and started shooting as soon as we stepped out of the bus and got suited up. I felt so bad ass with my paintball gun.

The manager, Ian, was a fit guy who looked to be in his late thirties, laid out the rules, "Alright ladies, we're going to play a game of Capture the Flag

The manager, Ian, was a fit guy who looked to be in his late thirties, laid out the rules, "Alright ladies, we're going to play a game of Capture the Flag. I'm going to need two teams; one red and the other blue. If you could split yourselves into two groups of 10 in the next 10 seconds that would be beautiful. If not, I'm picking your teams." He had that commanding PE teacher kind of vibe. The kind of voice that made us spring into action and somehow miraculously we managed to split up without a disaster occurring. Ripped up strips of blue and red fabric were handed out to the teams. I wrapped the red fabric around my right bicep like some of the girls did, others tied it around their thigh or head like a bandana.

"Alright ladies," Ian boomed, "your team captains for the red team will be Marcus, and for the blue team your team captain is Noah". All of the girls on the blue team cheered somewhat smugly. Noah moved over to his team while looking straight at me saying, "You're going down red team". I rolled my eyes and couldn't help chuckle at his cheesy competitiveness.

Ian laid out the ground rules for Capture the Flag. Each team would hide their flag in a fair spot in their home base. Some team members' would guard their flag and prevent the opposition from taking it, while the rest of the team would go and get the opposition's flag to bring it back to their home base. However, if you get shot three times, you're out. Marcus was handed a red flag with a white skull and crossbones in the middle and Noah was handed the same thing but in blue. Jasmine, who was fortunately on my team, was assigned the role of hiding the flag.

We walked onto the paintball field which had old abandoned cars, little tin huts that were falling apart, massive tyres laying around, big cement pipes to crawl through and lots of trees. It was so sick.

"Ok girls, team plan, Jasmine has gone to hide the flag, who wants to be the ones to destroy the others and get their flag?" Marcus asked. Two girls hesitantly put their hands up and I did after a moment as well. Maybe I could get some shots at Bianca who was on the other team. If I did see her, she wouldn't even know for sure it was me from all the protective gear I am wearing. Destiny and Alana also but their hands up and the five us were on a mission to get the blue team's flag. The rest of the girls and Marcus were here to defend our flag from the blue team.