Chapter 1

MARILYN HARRISON :
Six years later

It's a normal day, as long as you ignore the fact that I have an awful hangover. And I am supposed to focus my attention on my project manager who is talking about some collaborations. At 9 in the morning.

I am not drunk, nope.
But I can hear light right now.

I peer at Luca, my PA who also happens to be my best friend, and he looks like he just walked out of hell. Relatable.

Yesterday, when Tabi called us out for a drink sounding so distressed we couldn't say no, especially when it was her birthday. When we reached the club and spot her she was a mess. Her eyes were bloodshot, and seeing us her lips started to tremble slightly, the corner of her eyes dampen, and a single tear falls.

The plan was to celebrate the night with her boyfriend, Tris. But sensing the situation that fucker must have messed up. Luca straightway went to the bar and brought the strongest liquor. After taking a few more shots she finally sobbed the whole story.

Tris broke up with her, at the restaurant where she was expecting the proposal. He said I quote 'You are not what I am looking for'. He is currently at top of my hit list. We then drank and drank, which then lead to one throwing up at a stranger's suit whereas the other blackout on the floor.

"Ms Harrison?" Jake, my general manager called me more like brought me back from my thoughts. All the twenty eyes were fixated on me that a flush crept up my face. I have no idea what they were talking about.

" Umm...yeah so—" I hesitated and glance towards Luca for any hint but he lowered his head noticing me.

"Marilyn, I agree with whatever Edward said regarding the partnership. This will give us an immediate chance to enter the European market." Jessa, my department head shared coming to my rescue.

Clearing my throat, raising my chin, "If this company will give us the chance to expand our market I don't see any reason to not forward with it."

"Exactly, and a project like this which involves government participation will have exceptional publicity," Edward added.

"Wrights are known for such projects. This collaboration will surely give us the limelight outside of the US and Asia."

My whole body went rigid at hearing the name. I could feel my ears ringing and my hands start shaking. I could swear I went pale."What–what did you just say?" I whispered, praying maybe I heard it wrong.

"The new upcoming project in North Vancouver will surely–" interrupting Edward I snapped clenching my fist, "Not that! What company did you say just now?"

"The Wright groups?" Edward answered, confused.

"When?" I mumbled.

"What do you–" interrupting again, " I said when did they approach us, and why am I hearing about it now?" I barked raising my voice.

"Uhh...a week ago and I'm sure we did report to you regarding it," Jake replied.

Leaning back on my chair, rubbing my brow as if to ward off the headache, letting out an exaggerated sigh "We are not collaborating with the Wright group in any aspect, kindly refuse them immediately."

" What? Why is that? Wright group is one the most successful European business enterprise." Jake opposed immediately.

Before I could reason anything Edward added, "And we have already agreed on a meeting so they will be here in the afternoon."

Squeezing my eyes shut, I cursed. " Who did you ask before planning the meeting?" I hissed at a chill tone. The room went pin-drop silence.

Fidgeting with the pen, I ordered, "Jake, you'll be in complete responsibility to run this meeting along with Jessa. Do all the required research and let me know the result after your meeting."  Jake and Jessa nodded at my command even though doubt flicker in their eyes.

"That's it then. We can wrap up," exiting the meeting room without waiting for anybody.

"What was that?" Luca asked later on joining me at my office.

"What's what?" I grumble even though I'm well aware of what he is questioning.

"In the meeting room, when you acted like your ass caught fire. What was that?" Luca replied.

"No idea what you are talking about," I responded giving him a dirty look. "I was just pissed off at them for deciding without discussing it with me."

"Okay, but you are acting weird." He muttered rolling his eyes, "Anyway, do you want coffee 'cause I don't think I'll be able to survive anymore without it?"

"Please and you are an angel." I cried out.

Finally alone in my office, I let the panic set in. Fear and anxiety flow in my stomach and I'm already dreading. My hands were sweating and my breathing becomes swallower. Seems like my past has finally found me.
I think I need more alcohol.

✍︎ The first episode is finally here. The chapter is really small as it was written months ago. Do let me know how you feel about it. Byeeeeee💕❀