Chapter 22

Marilyn Harrison.

Hate is a strong feeling but sometimes you use it as a cover to hide your raw emotions. There's a very thin line between love and hate, and most of the time we deceit ourselves by calling it the other one.

By the evening, Luca enters my office with his bag, like he is about to leave for somewhere. "Why aren't you ready yet?" His words made me look up from my screen.

"For what?" I questioned remembering not having any appointments today when I checked my schedule in the morning.

"It's Thursday." Luca reminded me of something I almost forgot.

"Oh, give me a minute to assemble my stuff," I said, shutting my computer off to put on my coat to leave the office. It was almost 4 in the afternoon and the sun was slowly drowning.

Getting in the car, with Luca in the driver seat we leave for the appointment. The streets were filled with people as usual. the sun was not nearly around to set down. "Are you prepared for the meeting?" Luca asked while focusing on the road.

With a shrug I reply, "It's not like it's my first time. I am used to it. Don't worry." Yes, it's not the first time I'm going to attend this meeting, nor will it be the last. At least for now.

Leaving the chaos of city life behind we drove to the quieter side of the city. Turning around to enter through a set of big gates where security awaits to check our name in the list of immediate visitors. As the security granted access, we drove towards the big mansion. This manor was built years ago, outside the city along the mountain giving the privacy of peace and calm. A perfect place to build a home until someone decides to crumble it.

At the entrance, we met Mr. Laurent, the butler of this family waiting to escort us towards the office. As our eyes met, he nodded my presence and directed us to follow him. We walked behind him through the big corridor which screams silence and chaos.

As we reached the very corner of the house, Laurent stopped in front of a door. Knocking on it three times, he let us enter the office.

Luca stood beside me in the middle of the office, "Mr Barney," I said his name as in greetings followed by Luca.

"Ahh. Marilyn, you are finally here." Samuel spoke with a wide smile, "Come and have a seat you two." He gestured towards the sofa, as he stood from his desk to join us.

Muttering a small thanks we settled down, I opened my purse to bring the files out while Luca took out his laptop. "Let's not jump straight into business, should we? What would you like? Tea, coffee, or maybe any liquor?" Samuel said, stopping us mid-way.

"A glass of water will suffice," I said and Luca decided to go for a cup of tea. Laurent came back, walking to the other side of the office, where set a table of refreshments to make some tea for Luca but not before giving me a glass of water. I muttered a small thank you, to which he gave me a slight nod and went back to the corner.

"Okay then," Samuel starts but ends up coughing on his words. After drinking some water from his desk and taking a few deep breaths he restarts, "Sorry for showing old man symptoms by this old man." A happy smile stayed on his face but that's when I noticed his features, how old he has gotten in these years. How this young man, who used to carry me and Tabi on his shoulder and run around the garden has withered away. "Now tell me, did you enjoy the gala last weekend?" He asked grinning side to side.

It was a disaster. I wanted to scream in his face. How I was not prepared for half the shit that happened that day. But I keep my mouth shut, bringing a polite smile as I start, "The gala was incredible just like every year. We enjoyed ourselves a lot, and probably ate half of your wine and food."