Chapter 28

RIDGE WRIGHT

She was crying, her eyes were filled with emotions I was not expecting to see. Like she was begging for me to stay, for me to keep fighting for her. But why? When all she did was make it clear that she didn't want me in her life. Like the moment I said we were done, the last flicker of hope in her eyes was gone.

But she is a liar. Someone who'll never reciprocate what I feel.

And she made that very clear.

And just like I told her, I don't think I have the power in me to seek the numerous whys and hows anymore. I accept it. That this feeling was never mutual. She indeed never loved me back.

I went straight to my penthouse because, with the way my emotions are falling apart I am anything but calm, I'll probably end up making some irrevocable decisions that I may regret very much later on. And I don't want that with a new branch opening. I may have lost the love of my life or I would say she wasn't mine to begin with but I'll not lose my company as well.

My very empty place is still filled up with huge boxes scattered all around which contain my stuff that came like a week ago from London.

When I hear the sound of glasses clinking I walk towards my kitchen only to find Finn pouring whiskey in two glasses. Knowing my presence he asked, "Did you talk with her?"

"Yes," I said before adding, "it's finally done. I ended it." I let the words fall out as he slid one of the glasses towards me.

"You alright?" he asked with pity filled in his eyes. I felt like laughing, I didn't need his pity or anybody else's.

"Yes—yes, why won't I?"

"Maybe because you look like your leg will give out any time. That your eyes look bloodshot and you are on the verge of breaking down. That's why." Finn stated that those were basic facts while taking a sip from his glass.

But his words made me realise that indeed my legs felt weak making me take support from the chair to stand still. And my lungs felt like they couldn't take any air in. And suddenly I was fighting for my breath. "I—I don't think I am.." fine

"I know Ridge, sit down and take some breath in and out."And I did exactly that. And after about ten minutes I was feeling calm and normal like my lungs were not giving out and I was not dying out of breath. "Are you good now?"

"What the—fuck was that?" My eyes are still shut because I don't think I have enough energy to open them. Did I just have a heart attack? Maybe a lung failure? Voicing my thoughts out, "Am I dying?"

"Relax, you are not dying. You just had a panic attack." Finn's demeanour was making me feel really unsettling.

"The fuck do you mean? I don't get that shit."

"Well congrats, you just crossed one of your many milestones!" Sarcasm flew out of Finn's mouth as if there was anything funny about this situation. "Want me to click a picture and frame it in your bedroom?" When I threw him a death glare promising his slow death the smirk immediately fell off his face bringing his serious facial as he pulled out his laptop from his bag. "Enough with it. You have an important meeting with one of our clients from Mumbai and you have to sit in on this one."

By almost 3 a.m. the meeting finally ended, making us a partner for five more years with a 19% increase in our gain scale. Finn wrapped everything up to leave and I was anything but ready to retire to my bed because the more time I'll be alone and wake with my thoughts the more twisted my feelings are going to get.

Without bothering to walk Finn out I went to get myself some water to drink when I didn't hear my front door closing after Finn opened it. And after almost two minutes when there still wasn't any sound of the door closing, I walked to my entrance door to close it in case he had forgotten, only to find him standing still in my entryway holding the door and looking at something outside my apartment.