Chapter 7

Marilyn Harrison ☀︎

Mistake.

An error of judgment to let your emotions take control thinking you're finally strong, and full of will but it's still the same. Everything is still shattered and bleeding with regret, guilt, and shame haunting your nights and scaring away your days.

'I was made to love you.'

Words, letters are beautiful but they only make sense when you want them to. Being left alone in the desert at dusk without water or warmth. You are sapped in your tears, it makes you hollow, and when someone, something comes to hold your hands to take you home, to the shed of light and instead you drag them back your darkest. There's no forgiveness for breaking someone when they beg you to save them from drowning in the void.

"Mara"

A name with so many emotions, pain, and confusion that it breaks me apart to know that I did that. That I broke someone when they were already fading. That I hold their hands only to let them go to a strange place.

That there was no going back. There never was.
That I started a story, a fairytale when it was bound to be a tragedy wrapped around misery, distress, and pain.

And now he stands in front of me, looking just like my memory. I took a deep breath praying, begging for anything, everything so my eyes were empty and hollow giving up no emotions. Turning my lips upward with a smile and not letting the mask slip down I say, "Hello Mr.Wright, it's a pleasure to finally meet you." again was silent. I stretch my hand out for a shake. But none came. He just looked at me as if I'm not real, as if I'd fade into the air if he blink. I looked at those eyes which were now screaming in shock.

God, I hate this.

"Mara-" he said again with a loud whisper as if he had seen someone waking from their grave.

"It's Marilyn," I said with pressure so that he finally let go of that name.

His company, which I assume to be Finn Harper, vice president of Wright Groups, put a hand on his shoulder. Did he know? Did he tell him about Mara's existence?

Harper stretches his right hand with a very professional smile even though confusion lingers in his eyes too, "Miss Harrison."

Meeting his forwarded palm, I acknowledged, "Mr. Harper." Jake interrupts not allowing the silence to roll longer, "Why don't we start then? Please have your seat everyone." Accordingly, everyone took their seats but he was still standing where he was. Staring at me. When Finn shook him a little, he came back to reality and took his seat. Resuming starting from his seat.

Ignoring his heavy gaze on me, I tried to focus on the meeting. But it wasn't just Ridge's gaze that was hovering over me. I knew Luca was paying attention to me as well. And how miserably did I fail to look oblivious to it?

Everything was going just like we wanted, they agreed to our percentages and to add a few more clauses to the contract. But there's something else I was waiting to bring up. It was a stupid demand or rather absurd, but I am still gonna throw my dice into the air. "We also want equality and not 18-20% of the power of variation. We want the power over faculty to make any changes if we don't agree with anything, but of course, after discussing with you all."

It was a gamble, a heavy gamble.
But if you are going to try, then go all the way. Otherwise, don't even start.

"We are businessmen Miss Harrison, not some charity people." A voice I never thought I'd hear today spoke up, staring me down. Those eyes were not in shock anymore but in anger, and maybe a little disgust.