Chapter 9

Ridge Wright ☁︎

The urge to slam my fist into anything nearby was all I could think of. I tighten my hand into a fist avoiding destruction that I am so much feeling to do.

Betrayal, insult, rage and so much pain were what I was feeling right now. When the moment I saw her enter that office I thought my mind was playing some shitty game on me. But when she spoke and smiled at me which was anything but real I knew it wasn't another wishful dream of mine but reality. That I finally found my Mara.

But she wasn't the girl who left my cottage six years back. She wasn't the girl for whom I fall to my knees to make her mine.

The sparks, the light, the fucking giggles she makes every time our eyes met for more than five seconds even without knowing are gone.

And the woman in front of me was what darkness look like a cunning, selfish, liar who would do anything to get what they want. But none of that mattered more than the fact that I finally found her. My eyes, my heart, and my mind finally found her. Now we won't have to imagine her anymore. Now our brain won't play any trick on us.

But all my thoughts disappeared when she uttered those words I never imagined were possible between us. And now it felt like the angel was just a mask she slipped in to play with me. Like I was a twisted joke of her.

It was all lie. My promise, my love.

Leaving her office I took the elevator to the ground floor. My mind was blurred sending me back to that corner of darkness until the sound of the elevator door opening brings me back. Waiting in the lobby was finn talking to somebody on call. When he spotted me I knew what was coming.

"It was her, isn't it? The girl from Channel Island. It's her." He asked more like stated meeting me halfway. I didn't give him any reply but kept on walking to the exit. Victor was already outside the building waiting for our arrival. I get into the back seat still not uttering any word or answering the overflowing question of Finn.

"Are you going to say anything? Or sit there like you sold your voice to her just like your soul?" Finn said sounding annoyed. I did that, didn't I? Selling my soul to her.

But annoyed by how exactly right he was I glared at him but still not uttering a word. Do I even know what to say? I don't think so.

"It is her. Right? You are acting just like you did six years ago when I came to retrieve you from Channel." Finn continued, "But the girl you were looking for was Mara and she is...she is Marilyn. The Marilyn Harrison. She has not a single connection to Spain."

"I know," I murmured.

Waiting for me to continue but when I didn't he spoke again releasing a sigh while his brows drew together. "And? She is not at all like Mara, like the one you described." Finn stated confused when I didn't reply "Ridge?"

"You need to stop talking or I have to throw you out of the car." My voice was calm, too calm to be normal. There were a lot of things running through my head now and answering his question is the least of my concern.

Taking my word for a wise man I never expected my friend to be he kept his mouth shut but took his phone out and start typing something. "Say a word to Eli and you won't be here to see tomorrow's light."

Finn immediately turned his phone off and look at me like that ship has already sailed. Frowning I massage my nose because of the rising headache. And the next moment my phone is ringing with my dear brother's id. I looked to Finn who raised his hands as a surrender, "I told him when we were at the building." Sometimes I wonder if he is my friend or my brother's.