Chapter 5

Ridge Wright ☁︎ (6 years ago)

There's a saying that if you don't feel remorse for hurting people or losing people you always say you care about then, you are considered to have psychopath traits. That's what people said to me when I lost my mother two weeks ago from breast cancer. I knew she was going to die, because cancer does that to people and wishing for it to not happen is just wishful thinking and I don't believe in those. So, I was mentally prepared for it to happen. Don't get me wrong, I loved my mother, she did her motherly duties like she was expected to and I'm glad to have a parent present in my childhood growing up because my father died when I was 10 and Ely was 7. He got into an accident with his mistress and both died on the spot. The man couldn't even cheat properly. Pathetic.

So, it isn't weird to go to work the day after your mother's funeral but according to my brother, I'm an emotionless human who doesn't care about anyone's feelings. My mother is already dead, so whose feeling are we talking about? Exactly, no one.

But that doesn't seem like the case since I'm sitting in my grandfather's office in Wright Mason after receiving a call from him. And besides my grandfather stands my dear brother. My glare was enough to make him know how much I want to dig him 6 ft down with our mother right now.

"Stop looking at your brother like you want to kill him, Ridge." Richard Wright sat in front of me. The man who build this entire empire.

"Thanks for putting words to my thoughts, grandfather," finally turning my gaze towards him.

"I have some important matters to discuss with you." Ignoring my words, he starts, "I made some amends to my will."

Now, it's my time to become emotional. "What do you mean you change your will?"

"Stop screaming and sit your ass back down boy." My grandfather says in a very chill tone. Taking the clue, I sat down in my seat. "Before I officially give you the Wright Groups you need to fill three tasks."

"Oh, so now we are playing scavenger hunts, so thrilled," A scowl sits on my face.

"Stop being sarcastic Ridge, grandpa is serious." Ely finally says.

"Shut your mouth, Ely, before I break it."

"Don't you dare touch my face, it's worth fucking millions of dollars."

"That's exactly why I'm gonna break it so that you spend every single penny you earn from it to fix it ."

"Enough!" Grandfather interrupted before Ely could say anything, "Are you done acting like kids? If yes, then let's continue." He pauses for a second, " Your first task is to get a green signal from a therapist that you are not mentally ill. Or-"

"So this is all about why I didn't spend all week weeping like a puppy who lost her mother and instead went to work?" I asked in frustration.

"You and I both know very well it's much deeper than that."

"I'm not going to see any shrink, grandfather," I said in an affirmative tone.

He raised his hands, stopping me from speaking further, "Let me finish."
I leaned back in my chair gesturing to him to continue, "Or you go on a vacation for 5 months."

"Not happening. We are currently working on a big project. There is no way I'm leaving my team alone." I reply immediately without wasting much time.

"Then therapy is it." Grandfather said like it was decided. Like hell it is, I'm not gonna sit like a mentally unstable person hearing some idiot blubbering about inner feelings.