Chapter Forty Eight ~ Luke

Once we get in the car the silence is deafening, I turn my police lights off looking at her she's already gazing at me with a mixture of emotions I have no doubt. My anger from her leaving me behind at the hospital is slowly dwindling, after getting a verbal lashing down the phone from my little sister once she was told what I had said to Helen.

"I can't believe you said that to her. How could she of known, Luke. God, I've never felt so disappointed in you" layla tells me and hangs up before I even get a word in.

As soon as Layla put the Phone down I knew I had to make things right again, to apologise. "Your dads right" I say breaking the silence. "I'm a fuck up, all I do is fuck up—especially when it comes to you" I sigh heavily. "I'm really fucking sorry, beauty" I tell her. "I shouldn't of said what I said, in all honesty I didn't mean for it to come out the way it did and when you asked me to leave well I did what I always do—bring the defensive streak out"

"You really hurt me today, Luke" My beauty whimpers. "I mean you might aswell of stabbed me in the heart"

I flinch, and my own heart drops from what she's told me right now. "I know, I'm sorry—I'm so fucking sorry. Please forgive me, beauty"

"I swear to god, I can't be doing this with you if you're going to blame me for what's happening to our daughter" she cries.

And I realise what she's just said, does that mean my girl is deaf...

"Is Esme deaf?" I ask beauty.

"Dr Weiser said the results will take upto three weeks but the eCMV results can take less, he said he'll send an appointment letter out in the post for her" she tells me. "It's not looking good though" she cries as she sobs into her hands.

"Oh, god" I sob. "I'm so sorry, I said that to you"

Helen climbs into my lap before pressing her lips to mine. "I'm sorry I made you leave" she whimpers against my lips.

"Shall we go see our girl?" I sniffle.

She smiles nodding her head with tears cascading down her cheeks and I've never seen a more beautiful sight other than my little girl that is.

"Are you okay?" I ask her hugging her tightly to my body.

"Yeah" she sniffles. "Let's go see our girl"

I look towards the house over her shoulder and Colin is stood in the door way with his big arse arms folded over his arms staring at my car. "Fucksake, your dad is staring at me babe" I whisper in her ear.

"What are you whispering for he can't hear you" she giggles looking towards the house.

"Baby, don't look at him" I hiss playfully. "And i've no doubt your dad has weird abilities" I chuckle.

She snort laughs. "Don't be daft"

"I'm telling you now he can hear me, can't you Colin?" I say looking towards him but he doesn't make any movement just stares.

"I know" I say to myself. "Colin is a sted Ed" I chuckle.

"Luke" Helen hisses.

"What?" I chuckle looking at her. "You said he can't hear anything"

"Yeah, I know but sted Ed?" she grimaces. "Dad isn't a sted Ed, he doesn't and has never taking steroids for his muscle mass"

"Seriously?" I ask. "Fuuuuuck"

My girl giggles at my unease. "Come on, I'll protect you"

"Don't tell him I call him a sted Ed, I like my head where it is" I tell her when we exit the car she looks over to me with her back to her dad and does the zip motion cross her lips.