Chapter Twenty Five-Luke

"We're goin to make an official arrest, son, you comin?" Saint asks as he puts his jacket on.

"Who are we arresting?" I ask as I catch up to him.

"Ronny, smitty's boy" Saint tells me.

My eyes widen at his words. "No, shit?"

"Yup, he was captured on camera near the scene of a murder" he tells me.

"Do they know who the murder victim was?" I ask him.

He glances at me before he hands a folder over to me as we leave the building. My eyes find the pictures of the crime scene, in the pictures are several images of the murder victim—and I realise, it's the homeless man, the one who warned me about the traitors, he's dead. "I'm sorry, son" saint says softly.

"I—" I stutter shaking my head. "This is my fault—"

"No, son, it wasn't—this man chose to speak to you, he chose to tell you what he knew, in my eyes, he's a hero—a good man that didn't deserve what he got" Saint tells me. "Now come on, we'll call for back up once we get in the car—just incase" he mutters as we approach his car.

"Okay" I say softly as I get in saints car.

I look at the notes and the pictures of the man that talked to me as I hear saint calling for backup, he died by a single bullet to the head but his body is battered and bruised—he suffered, because he talked to me.

"Put it away, son" saint says softly. "Don't be filling your head with that shit, what's done is done, you can't do anything about that now, only get the fucker that's responsible" he growls.

I nod, not meeting his gaze, I see his hand clutching the file and shuts it over, but not before I see the man's face once more.

I close my eyes, now haunted by the man who lost his life because of me. "Son, do you need to sit this out?" Saints asks me. "Because you can, just take a breather"

"No" I say adamantly, I'm gonna go to smitty's house and get that fucker.

"That's my boy" saint grins at me.

We arrive at smitty's house in no time and saint presses the buzzer at the gate. "Hello, how can I help you?" A woman's voice comes through the speaker.

"Oh, hello little darlin'. This here is Michael Saint at canning police department, is mr smith around please?" Saint asks the woman.

"One moment, please" she says softly.

"Sure thing" saint replies.

Moments later, the lady comes back on to the speaker. "Please come through, Mr smith will see you now"

The gate opens as saint thanks the lady on the speaker before driving through.

We exit saints car and I look around noticing that back up isn't here yet. "Where is backup?" I whisper to saint.

"Not far" he whispers back.

The door to smitty's house opens and out comes smitty snr with Ronny on his heels. "To what did I owe the pleasure of this visit?" he asks us.

"Good morning, mr smith" saint grins politely. "I wonder if we might come in for a chat, please?"

Smitty's gaze roams over us suspiciously before gesturing for us to come in. "Would you care for a drink, gentlemen?" Smitty asks us.

"A water would be great, thanks" saint smiles gratefully.

Smitty looks at me with a raised eyebrow. "I'll have the same, please" I smile.