Chapter Twenty Two- Helen

It's been a week since my brother and my new sis's wedding day, and I've hardly seen luke at all, since he's working none stop with this case. I walk into work and see Maria coming towards me with a huge grin on her face. "Hey, girl" she says bringing me in for a hug, then squats lowering herself to my stomach. "Hey, baby" she coos to my stomach.

"So, what are we looking at, today?" I ask her as she stands up fully.

"We've got a few in, three already down for C-sections and the other two, one is in slow labour, has been since she got here last night and then the other one, her contractions are coming in fast" she tells me with a knowing look.

"What room?" I grin eager to deliver a baby.

"Six" she replies. "Suzanne is already in there with her"

I nod, making my way to room six and knock on the door. "Come in" Suzanne says from the other side of the door.

I enter the room, smiling from ear to ear. "Hi there, my name is Helen and I'm one of the senior midwives here, how are you?" I ask the woman on the bed that's holding the gas and air pipe like a vice.

"Good" she rasps. "All things considering, like" she deadpans.

I smile warmly, at her and her partner. "That's good, I'm just going to examine you Hun, if that's okay?"

She nods in response but Suzanne butts in. "I've only just done it, she's five centimetres dilated" she tells me with a look of annoyance on her face.

"Well, I'm doing it again" I reply through gritted teeth, daring her to argue with me.

Normally I'd leave it if one of my colleagues have already performed an exam on the patient, but Suzanne hasn't worked here for long, and her attitude towards me has pissed me off.

I smile back towards the patient on the bed and her partner. "What's your name, sweetie?" I ask her.

"Annmarie" she pants holding the gas and air pipe close to her mouth.

I smile with a nod and look towards her partner. "And you are?" I ask him.

"Liam" he replies not looking at me but his worried gaze is set on his partner.

"Lovely to meet you both, I thought I'd best get your names before I—you know" I reply gesturing to under the blanket with my head making them both chuckle.

I wash my hands again before putting gloves on my hands. "Right, just try and relax for me, okay annmarie?" I say as push the blanket over her knees and examine her.

I look to Suzanne who is still looking at me with a look of annoyance. "What time was the measurements done?" I ask her.

She squares her shoulders lifting her chin. "I told you, I've only just done it" she says calmly.

I smile politely at annmarie and Liam, before looking back at Suzanne. "Did you not write the measurements down with the time?" I ask her.

Her eyes widen and her face pales, realising her mistake. Any midwife should make sure to write everything down in the pregnancy notes, especially dilation, it's how you know when a pregnant mother is in active labour and when it slows down. I'm pissed that Suzanne didn't follow a simple task, annmarie is measuring five centimetres but if she doesn't know the time of when she took the measurements you can't be sure if labour has slowed or anything. "Go and help Maria, I'll talk to you when I get the chance" I say not looking at her.

"But" Suzanne protests.

"Go, please" I say calmly but she can see I'm trying my fucking best to keep my shit together in front of annmarie and Liam.