24: People We Meet On Vacation

Prologue

Prologue

Two best friends. Ten summer trips. One last chance to fall in love.

Poppy and Alex. Alex and Poppy. They have nothing in common. She’s a wild child; he wears khakis. She has insatiable wanderlust; he prefers to stay home with a book. And somehow, ever since a fateful car share home from college many years ago, they are the very best of friends. For most of the year they live far apart—she’s in New York City, and he’s in their small hometown—but every summer, for a decade, they have taken one glorious week of vacation together.

Until two years ago, when they ruined everything. They haven’t spoken since.

Poppy has everything she should want, but she’s stuck in a rut. When someone asks when she was last truly happy, she knows, without a doubt, it was on that ill-fated, final trip with Alex. And so, she decides to convince her best friend to take one more vacation together—lay everything on the table, make it all right. Miraculously, he agrees.

Now she has a week to fix everything. If only she can get around the one big truth that has always stood quietly in the middle of their seemingly perfect relationship. What could possibly go wrong?

Review

This book is awesome and like literally awesome.

Emily Henry don't write books she literally writes life. And small things of relationships which are so important in life are the ones she's a master in reflecting.

This book is about friends to lovers and to many, this trope sounds boring. Tbh in minds we crave for
sunshine×grumpy, rude×naive, cold×lively etc but in reality friends to lovers is the best trope one could have in life because when a person knows you fully and accepts you. What's more you could ask for?(psh..the trope you want in your romantic life?)

Alex is my new favourite guy topping the charts of crushes and he's literally sweet. The plot is refreshing and all characters and the past-present chapters don't get boring at all but instead satiate the cravings to know more about them in both times.

When I read the book I wasn't into friends into lovers book because tbh authors just exaggerate friendships and the "cool bro" things are in present weird and also sounds unrealistic. But this book wasn't cringey or something. Their friendship was pure and Alex literally became a man I wanted to protect from the world.

The best part about this book was that the characters weren't perfect. Perfect in the sense not "millionaire" or "I can handle depression at my worst" or "deeply broken". But the characters were quite real, Alex loved his family and was obediently caring and Poppy well she was carefree and bold.

I loved the thing that author included was of people who are extrovert or what many rude people refere to as "loud". Poppy's parent were loud but she loved them more to be embarassed. I've friends like that I know this review might get too personal but don't reject such people because of their liveliness because they are who they are. No matter if they draw attention by their lovely antics. And remember you have no chance in finding much better person than them.

Another thing I realised that.. people who are carefree can be responsible. I am Alex in my life so I didn't think a person with Alex persona would choose Poppy because she apparently appears to be a little reckless. Since she left job, didn't do graduation even when her parents did everything to enroll her into that college. I had aversion to such people because if a person isn't responsible to their own life obviously you can expect them to be responsible elsewhere. But this book altered my perception and maybe in many ways it could change you too.

A rom com of morals+ family + caring husband material+ lively poppy+ friends to lovers+ ample trips  - toxic relationship.

Best book!