Chapter 3: Beginnings of a Growing Village

A/N: I waited about a week and felt like that was long enough for an update. Still feeling really well when writing for this story, its very refreshing for me compared to my other works. This is by far the most I've written in more than a year. Hopefully you guys enjoy this chapter, I'll probably let this one sit for a week before I decide to work on the next one. Thanks for reading guys! I'll see you in the next chapter!

"Hey, Rimuru..." You communicated to your slime buddy with your thoughts as the two of you were stood in front of all the goblins, examining the fighting force you two had.

"Yeah...?" Rimuru responded as the two of you had slightly concerned looks on your faces.

"They don't...really seem like they would stand a chance in a fight..." You commented on how scrawny, shrimpy, and just incapable they looked as fighters.

"Hmm...Looks like we shouldn't expect to find many who can fight Direwolves." Rimuru spoke with his thoughts as you two scanned your sight among all the goblins. "They all look to scrawny and beat-up. Talk about pressure..." You raised your tail to scratch your head in contemplation, but ended up scratching Rimuru's head instead as he sat atop of you. "Everyone, do you understand our situation?" Rimuru asked the goblins.

"Yes! We are prepared for a life-or-death battle!" The son of the village elder said with a salute as they all stood as tall and determined as they could.

"No need to get all worked up. Just relax. Think only about doing the best you can." Rimuru unintentionally spoke in a cool tone that the goblins were amazed by, as you looked up at him with a smug grin.

"Heeeeeeh~? Did reincarnating also give you the skill of being some big shot?" You teased while gently poking him with your tail as he blushed and wriggled around on your head.

"I didn't mean to sound that cool..." Rimuru muttered to where only you could hear him before he cleared 'throat', wherever that was in his slime body, and turned back to the villagers. "Ahem...But first, take me to where the wounded are." Rimuru asked as the village elder came forward.

"This way." The goblin elder said as he walked off to another hut, and you followed him with your slime buddy riding on your head.

After walking a few feet from the center of the village, you three entered the tent to find 14 goblins lying on some thin tree mats as they were unconcious or in severe pain. Bandages covered whatever wounds were serious, while their scratches and scrapes were left exposed to the air.

"We did all we could for them, but..." The elder couldn't muster any more words as his worries and fear for his people silenced his voice as you and Rimuru closely examined their wounds.

"Those claw marks go deeper than I would have guessed. These Direwolves must have some mean fangs and claws." You said in examination of the goblin closest to you.

"Let me down, Y/N." Rimuru said as he rolled off your snout and onto the floor as you backed up from him. "Well, might as well try it..." Rimuru thought as you and the elder watched in confusion of what he was going to do when suddenly, Rimuru swallowed the injured goblin whole.

"W-What are you doing!?" The elder asked in shock and worry as Rimuru sat in a big blob state for a few seconds before spitting out the goblin.

"Whoa-OUCH!" You cried out when the goblin landed on top of you.