Chapter 14: Guests From Afar

The Next Morning

In a house laid out in a large circular bed, the Rodan you encountered yesterday just before meeting with the Demon Lord, Milim, was laid out asleep due to wasting a vast amount of its energy from its battle with you. Though with care and tending to from Mai, the Rodan had steadily made a healthy recovery, and was now just finishing up gathering the rest of its energy it needed to wake up. When the light of the sun shined down through the window near her bed, the Rodan scrunched its face and slowly opened its eyes as her vision was blurry.

"Where am...I?" The Rodan muttered in confusion as her vision finally cleared up and she saw she was in an unfamiliar place. "Huh? W-What is this?" She asked in confusion as she raised her head and looked around in wonder and caution before feeling the soft cushion of the circular bed that she laid on. "Hm? This is...a nest? It's strangely soft..." She muttered while shuffling around in it and accidentally finding a comfortable position. 

"Excuse me." The Rodan heard a voice come from the other side of the door and turned with a cautious look as she readied her wings, and in came Mai who held a basket of food and noticed she was awake. "Oh, you're awake now! Thank goodness! I brought you some food to help you recover--!" Mai was cut off when the Rodan spread her wings. 

"Don't come any closer!" The Rodan warned as she glared at Mai, making the floating moth monster stop where she hovered. "Where am I? How did I get here?" She asked as Mai calmed herself and set down the basket of food.

"Lord Y/N brought you back here." Mai answered as the Rodan grew a questionable look. "The one you engaged in battle with before losing consciousness." She said as the Rodan remembered now what happened between you and her.

"Why would he bring an enemy along with him? And what is this place? This looks like a human's home." The Rodan said before growing confused as Mai floated out of the way.

"You're in the land that is owned by Lord Y/N and Lord Rimuru. Here, we monsters can gather and live in peace without any danger of being attacked or killed by anyone else. If you come with me, I can show you that we mean no harm. But you are also free to leave as you wish, and fly off where we'll never see you again. The choice is yours." Mai said as she floated out of the room, leaving the Rodan to her own choices.

The room fell silent as the Rodan lowered her wings and stared at the basket of food, inspecting how different each piece of food and bread and fruit looked. After staring for so long, her stomach made itself known with a grumble as the Rodan walked off the cushion she was on and leaned down to grab the basket and bring it back over to her make-shift nest as she took a bite form one of the pieces of meat. The moment the cooked meat hit her palate, she froze in silence as tears slowly dripped down her face, savoring the incredible taste of food for the first time in so long. The Rodan whimpered as she continued to eat away at the food basket, making sure to savor and be thankful for every last bite she had. After waiting a few minutes outside of the house, Mai noticed the door open and the Rodan come out with a few crumbs of bread on her face.

"I suppose I should offer thanks to him for saving me..." The Rodan said as Mai seemed happy at the choice she made.

"I'll lead the way." Mai said as she floated into the air, and the Rodan followed suit.

While flying above the streets of the town, the Rodan was amazed by what she was seeing, as there were different races of monsters walking around and living such peaceful lives and leading such flourishing life styles. The vast complexity of the buildings, the architecture that everything was built on, it was so astonishing for one to take in. While admiring everything from above, the Rodan noticed Mai began to descend towards the ground, and when she looked to see what was below, the Rodan immediately recognized the sight of you as you were stood near a shop talking with a few of the citizens, and Milim was riding on top of your back as she sported her new white sailor outfit that Shuna had made for her. Slowly descending to the ground, Mai stopped herself just a few feet off the ground and floated to the side of you as the Rodan touched down on the paved walkway, catching your attention.