Chapter sixteen

"Dawnpaw." Sootstar called to him, he sounded more relaxed at dawn they he had been many days before. Dawnpaw raced out of the den after saying his goodbyes to Mousetail, now his mentor. It had been a few days since the fires, they returned to camp with herbs stocked high once more. The dens may have been completely burnt from bottem to top, but it was still warm. The smell of smoke and ash lingered in the air still. "Ready to go meet Hiddenstar?" he asked, even if the situation wasnt one to smile in, Sootstar grinned.

Dawnpaw skipped towards Sootstar and as the two left, the sounds of cats talking soothed Sootstars senses. Everyone was safe, no one was injured and now, there were more warriors. He had appointed a new deputy, Rustedclaws. Rustedclaws was a loyal, brave tom. Astroidclan was happy finally, everyone finally was.  Sootstar feared meeting the leader of sunclan once more, the last time they looked into eachothers eyes was in battle, when he took a life from him. But dawnpaw reminded him that it was okay, even if he didnt say it himself. "Yeah, im ready." Dawnpaw replied, even if it felt like moons before he did.

The two padded out of camp, a part of him knew Dawnpaw would break mid-conversation, but he didnt know how to keep him from bursting out at others like that. Sootstar was afraid that Dawnpaw would anger Hiddenstar and do something stupid, something that could harm the clan. Sootstar pushed his own fears aside and pulled his little friend closer, it was hard for him to not call him his brother at this point, even if they may have been complete opposites and different ages, him as an experianced leader and him as a small apprentice.

"He'll be near the gazing cave, i Believe Mousetail has taken you there before?" Soostar spoke, looking to the tall stones that surrounded the territories, they were tall, he had never gone there before. The only times he had been there was when he was with Crowstar getting his own nine lives, and then his own. But when he went with Crowstar, it was many many moons ago, far too many to remember. "Its an unclaimed place, so the safest." he added. "ok!" Dawnpaw replied, in a simple way. "You may sit down, who knows how long we will have to wait for hiddenstar."

Suddenly, a siamese tom approached the two. "Greetings.. Sootstar, Dawnpaw. I see you brought yout medicine cat with you." Hiddenstars voice was like toxin, it lingered in the leaders ears, burning like an adders venom. "Yes, i want to make this the least threatening meeting. Incase you came alone, like you are now." Sootstar stated, his voice low. "Yes.. So, you have come to talk about surrendering, im suprised you have agreed though." Hiddenstar continued, his words made Dawnpaw see red, even if he hadnt said anything bad.

 "Listen here you feather-chasing, fox-hearted, mouse-brained, pain in the tail, ruffled fur, Scaredy-moused Leader! We will not surrender to your clan, no matter what happens!" Dawnpaw yowled, paws scrambling around. "Dawnpaw! Shut your bee-filled mouth!" Sootstar yelled, squinting his eyes at him. "Im so sorry, Hiddenstar. Hes not usually like this." Sootstar explained, hoping he wouldnt be angry. "Hm. Let him go on, lets see what he does." Hiddenstar whispered. "I Challenge you to uh..- challenge! I want to fight you again!" Dawnpaw fumed angerly. Hiddenstars expression was blank for a moment, thinking. "Okay, what a about a one vs one, a dual of sorts." Hiddenstar suggested. "Yes!" Dawnpaw nodded his head aggressively.

"I- what?" Sootstar couldnt believe what he was hearing. this battle didnt have a reason, unlike the one at the gathering. "You heard the kid, i hope he still knows how to fight." Hiddenstar spoke, grinning. "Listen, if you kill our medicine apprentice. We will reign the dark forest upon you, not even starclan will forget." Sootstar warned, he still wasnt sure. He was worried, really worried for the sake of the apprentice, he had gotten in too many fights for his own good. "That sounds reasonable." Hiddenstar whispered, turning away from them. "One day, one day you have to train him." hiddenstar said. "So lets make some rules, we light up tail-to-tail and take ten paces. Who every manages to strike  the cat down first, wins. If Dawnpaw wins, you have independence, if i win.. Astroidclan goes down." Hiddenstar spoke calmly, his voice still seemed rather stern however. "We fight at the stones near the bay, count your blessings." 

The tom disappeared into the grass, his steps couldnt be heard. Sootstar was shaken by his situation, much more then Dawnpaw. Dawnpaw was incredibly ready, or he thought he was.   Sootstar knew it wouldnt be long until both of them regreted his decision.

Sootstar and Dawnpaw padded back to camp, it wasnt a far walk. A few tail-lengths in all honesty. Sootstar wasnt sure if he should tell anyone, if he did he wpuld be scolded for letting this stupid thing happen, risking their clan being seperated once more. The two padded into the entrance, a few cats werent there. But Rustedclaws most likely set out an evening patrol, either hunting, border or just a herb patrol. Sootstar walked up the his deputy. "Rustedclaws." he greeted. "Hey, Sootstar. Whats up?" Rustedclaws jumped off one of the roots of the log. "Not good." sootstar groaned. "What happened?"