Chapter twenty

"Crescentpaw." a deep, monotone voice called to them outside the apprentice den. Crescentpaw opened their eyes, looking up at his somewhat mentor. After Crescentpaw stopped doing well in training, Hiddenstar decided to give them a second mentor. "Goodmorning, Bruteheart." Crescentpaw smiled, today he had his favorite mentor! "Morning, Crescentpaw." Bruteheart nodded, his face blank. "What are we doing today? Are we going to practice more fighting techniques?" The apprentice asked, standing up and leaving the den with him. "No, we're going to learn a more important battle move." Bruteheart urged to smaller to follow him.

The two leaped down the sharp rock ledges, Bruteheart reaching the bottom quicker. Crescentpaw jumped from a higher rock, landing right on their feet. "Thats one of the only things you're good at." Burteheart joked, nudging the apprentice. "What? Do you mean being somewhat graceful." Crescentpaw looked back at him, grinning. "Possibly, but thats not what a sunclan cats like." Bruteheart said, walking forwards. Crescentpaw followed behind him. Bruteheart stopped at a small clearling in the woods. "Attack me." the tom spoke, backing up to give the apprentice more room. Crescentpaw knew he would do this, so they thought of a plan to attack.

They ran towards him, which caught the rouge off guard as they had never done something other then lunging at him in battle. Bruteheart jumped over him, landing behind the apprentice. Bruteheart leaped ontop of them, pushing them onto the ground. the apprenitce beat their hind legs against his stomach, throwing him off of them. Bruteheart jumped back up quickly and dodged one of Crescentpaws quick attacks. He turned around and lashed his paws at them, but they dodged most of his swipes with ease. As crescentpaw wiped his claws towards him, Bruteheart grabbed them by their upper arm and threw them.

Cescentpaw slowly got up, their legs weak. "Good job, you did much better then last time." Bruteheart padded towards him. "You're getting much faster, and bigger. You have grown quite a lot since i have last trained you." he said, nudging the apprentice. "Thanks." Crescentpaw muttered. "But you have to be even quicker, you lacked speed on your first attack." He sat down, Crescentpaw looking up at him. "Okay, good to know. Are we going to practice again?" Crescentpaw asked, still standing in the same place they had been since the battle ended. "Yes, and remember-" Bruteheart was cut off. "Be quick." Crescentpaw said.

Crescentpaw dropped into a crouch, leaping up and behind him, missing the tom on purpose. Bruteheart turned to look at him but the apprentice ran in circles around the tom, Bruteheart missed every attack he threw at him. The two finally came face to face, Crescentpaw raising their paw, claws unsheathed. Their paw had striked the tom on his nose, nothing that would leave a scar. Bruteheart looked up at the apprentice who stood proudly over him, Bruteheart stood up. "Good job, Crescentpaw." Bruteheart began to smile, tusks protruding out of his mouth. "Can we go hunting now?" the young jack asked, looking up at his mentor. Bruteheart nodded. "You deserve it." Bruteheart padded away with Crescentpaw, disappearing into the trees.

Hiddenstar stood at the entrance of camp, sitting just behind the waterfall that covered the entrance. He looked to the tom that stood before him, his friend, Palestep. Hiddenstar listened to the tom rant about the newly founded clan, Astroidclan. Hiddenstar could tell the tom wasnt happy about him letting them go with a simple deal. "Listen, Sootstar has made his clan with brave cats, even if two cats of ours have left, they need them now." Hiddenstar spoke.

Palestep snarled, baring his teeth and leaving into the dark camp. Hiddenstar sighed, but he stayed where he sat. Looking on into the distance, even if it was covered by rushing water. The silence was cut off by an apprentice and a rogue, Bruteheart and Crescentpaw. "Oh, hello Bruteheart, welcome bsck Crescentpaw." Hiddenstar looked to the two, smiling. "Good morning, hiddenstar." Crescentpaw dipped their head, still looking up at him. Bruteheart held a vole in his jaws, Crescentpaw held a beaver. "Great catches, make sure to enjoy." Hiddenstar said, watching the two walk into the camp.

Hiddenstar padded into camp, the sound of apprentices playing, elders telling stories and warriors sharing tongues. A slight breeze ran through the toms fur, if he was being honest he was happy about the warmth of green-leaf, but he had never said anything about his emotions to his clan, he tried to keep the reputation of the greatest leader and fighter in the territory, but he knew it was actually Bruteheart, Bruteheart had taken one of his lives in a battle of a great battle before the clans had moved. The clan learned how to except the rogue as part of the clan, knowing he was very strong. But Bruteheart never fought in battle with them, he fought for no-one.

As hiddenstar walked forwards, crescentpaw sped out of camp alone. Apprentice are always up to something. The leader thought, but didnt pay much attention to them