20.

••••

••••

"Dad, I know what I want to do for my birthday," Kennedy burst into his room and climbed into his bed, Shakur was watching TV but it was clear his child didn't care about him relaxing today.

"You don't get to have any more birthdays' you can't grow up on me princess," he told her.

Kennedy laughed, "I'll still be your baby, even though alot of people said when I have Josiah you'll replace me with him. I'll hate to have to fight my own kid," she told him.

"You'll never be replaced' maybe a little bit. But you know my heart,"

He stared down at her and how she laid back on his head board, a bag of sour cream and cheddar ruffles rested on her stomach while she paid attention to the TV. She was now 28 weeks pregnant and in two more weeks would be her seventeenth birthday. She was now in her third trimester and he didn't miss an appointment— Shakur was probably more excited to meet his grandson than Joshua was to meet his son. The ultrasounds had stopped being so frequent and he didn't like that— so he convinced the nurses to sneak her one each time they went every two weeks.

"Ouch," Kennedy groaned, clutching her stomach.

Shakur rubbed her hand, Braxton hicks had been kicking her ass. "You good baby?" He asked.

Letting out a deep breath she nodded, "I'm fine, thanks,"

"Where's Joshua? I noticed you two seem off lately, wassup with that? I been meaning to ask' and see if there's an issue I'm missing?"

Kennedy shifted a little— and avoided eye contact with her father as she focused back on the show that played. She smacked her lips when the TV cut off and she could feel Shakur staring at the side of her face, he didn't have to say anything at all, Kennedy know to start talking and he wouldn't wait all day for her too.

"We got into it last week— we ain't really together right now. He broke up with me,"

"Why?"

Kennedy played with her nails, "It was a stupid argument over some boy that had wrote me. Joshua's been gone so much lately I guess I just wanted a friend other than Naeem. Joshua saw the messages and he got mad— he blew up on me and told me I always been an easily influenced attention seeking little girl. Said I was begging for attention from another dude and I didn't see it that way. After that I got mad and I hit him," She whispered the last part because one thing her father had always told her if she lay hands on a male the don't be surprised if they retaliate.

Of course Shakur also told her once he chewed her out— he'd kill any boy behind her. He meant that.

"He didn't hit me back though," she quickly stated, "he said he was sick of me lashing out at him and my behavior concerned him. I can't help it though dad." Her voice cracked. "H— he told me he won't be with anyone who knows about his abuse with his parents and would still lay hands on him."