harry refuses the CEO position

Just two weeks ago, Harry and Mia had been invited to a birthday party.

To be specific, which is very necessary in this situation, they were invited to a kid's birthday party. Harry had promoted one of his employees to a high position, and as a thank you, the woman had invited Harry and a plus one to her child's 6th birthday party. Harry had looked down at the invitation wondering if there was a typo. He couldn't fathom the idea of going to a regular birthday party, much less a kid's one.

But his employee had insisted. And Harry had hinted that taking him out for lunch or something would be even better in his books, but the women refused to budge. So a few days later, Harry andMia stood in a venue with drinks in their hands, dodging children left and right.

His arm was slung around her waist. Mia was quiet for some time, a pensive look on her face as she watched the child who was "it" bellow, "CHAAAARGE" before sprinting to tag the other kids. Usually, something like this would make her twitchy, but something about her still figure and soft grey eyes made him ask, "What do you think? Should we get one?"

Mia had blinked at him. "A kid?"

"No, a bouncy house."

"Oh. Um. Well, I wouldn't be opposed, but..."

"Mia. Never mind. Yes, a kid." He sighed deeply and slanted his head towards her, his brows raised. "Thoughts?"

"I mean..." They'd talked about it before. And both of them wanted children. But it seemed like something that would happen after the wedding. But even that was really close – in three short months. "You know I want your kids."

Harry laughed softly and shook his head. "You always emphasize that they'd be mine as if I'd expect them to be somebody else."

"Well, you know," she smiled back, nudging his shoulder with hers. "I have to remind you that they'll all have your big head."

"You love my big head."

"I do." She took a sip of her drink. "And you? Think we should get on it?"

If it were up to Harry, he would have liked to wait just a year more. He wasn't in a rush. Though recently he had been enjoying the idea of having a baby to erase, and the feeling was always tainted by terror. "Maybe when my job is a little..."

Mia nodded. "Yeah."

Harry had been so busy recently. His father's company had just bought another, right before the end of the fiscal year. They had so much to work on for reports. It was driving him insane and causing him to work overtime. He just needed to get over his hurdle. And then he'd relax. He'd come home on time. He'd have more time to take Mia out rather than force her to attend a birthday with him. This felt like work anyways.

"But I do look forward to it," he'd insisted, kissing the top of her head. He watched as two kids ran into each other and began sobbing on the floor. "Well. Mostly."

A week later, Mia had come out of the bathroom at night with a pregnancy test in her hand. Her eyes were wide, hesitant. "I thought it would be funny," she said, "if it was negative because I missed a period and–"

She handed him the test. "You said you wanted kids a little later... what if we had one in nine months?" She looked at the wall, dazed. "Well. Seven months really, if I'm doing the math correctly. Which I'm probably not. You know what? It doesn't matter. I think you get the point."

Harry peered down at the test. It was a very solid positive. He's silent for a moment. Then – "Holy shit."

"I know," Mia whispered, joining him on the bed. "It's a lot. But we've talked about it, right? And we're getting married and you know it was gonna happen eventually. I mean–"
"Mia."