Chapter 1

"Fuckkkkkk..." I groaned as I rolled over to stop the alarm from going off.

Today was going to be a long day and I barely slept all night. I had that dream again. The same one I've had for as long as I could remember:

Standing in a grassy field, a faint mist from the waterfall kissed my exposed skin that was burning under the hot sun. The scene was beautiful. The grass swayed ever so slightly in the breeze and I felt at peace-then I heard it.

"Maeve..." the voice said.

I turned toward where the voice originated from. As always, nothing was there. Returning to the waterfall, the scene changed, and I became engulfed in darkness. The darkness was thick and almost tangible. It smelled of death, decay, and ruin. I wandered farther into the unknown abyss as a hall of mirrors came into view.

It was a strange sight. My reflection in the mirror was something that always startled me, but it was always the same. My hair was done into a low updo with strands of chestnut locks framing my face. Makeup done simply, yet elaborately enough to make my ocean-blue eyes look like they danced in the shifting light. My sun-tanned skin was covered in a black floor length gown. The plunging neckline showed off the sternum tattoo I got back in college and the black lace trailed all the way down my hands. It might have made me seem like a narcissist, but I loved this part of the dream. I knew I was attractive, but I never dressed like this. The gown hugged my curves in all the right places-like it was made for me.

Soon, however, I was snapped out of my obsessive trance as I watched a head full of silken black locks run across the floor in front of me. I turned away from the mirror and the scene flashed back to the waterfall. The child ran forward toward the edge of the cliff of the waterfall. I chased after and called out for him to stop as I always did. I ran faster. Maybe I would catch him this time. Just a little faster...

Just as I reached out to grab his arm, he plummeted over the side of the cliff, taking me with him.

The fall off the waterfall in the dream was always the worst part. I would wake up sweating and tears streaming down my face. It always took so long to calm myself down after, but I didn't have time for that today.

I rolled out of bed and threw on my robe before heading to the kitchen to start the coffee. After showering quickly and throwing on makeup, I quickly brushed my hair and chose to let it air dry on the way to the lab. Today I opted for a more relaxed outfit given the day I was about to have. I grabbed My lab coat, coffee, phone, and keys and before heading out the door.

The drive to the lab wasn't that far, but it was far enough to make my mind wander. Traffic was horrible and I just knew I was going to be late. On instinct, I took a couple turns not knowing where the hell I was going. Eventually I arrived at the building and had time to grab a bagel from the café downstairs.

What a lucky bitch, I thought to myself.

After getting my shitty breakfast and saying hello to the older security guard like I always did, I hopped on the elevator. That feeling was there again...Like a prick or tingle at the back of my neck. All of a sudden, my head went light and sweat slicked my brow. I leaned against the railing in the elevator as it made its ascent to the 43rd floor. Closing my eyes, I pinched the bridge of my nose to try to alleviate the pressure.

Get a grip, Mae, I complained to myself.

Who are you?

The voice.

My eyes snapped open. That voice. It was the same voice from the dream, but it felt like it was right behind me.

What. The. Fuck.