Chapter 2

Doctor...I heard as I jolted away from my work desk. The pain that shot through my lower back was enough evidence to suggest I had been out for a while, hunched over the desk. After fleeing from the lab, I obsessed over calculations that could possibly rekindle the connection to his dark vision.

We have to stop meeting like this, he said as I rubbed sleep from my eyes, glancing over at the clock. 4:37 a.m. Great.

"Once again, you're the one that's in my space. I swearing I'm fucking losing it," I said, cracking my neck and shifting around to face his figure.

It seemed clearer now. Like he was coming into focus more.

Now I was able to make out other features. Dark, flowing hair and a black cape that billowed out from behind him. He was broad and so tall. Even having him blurred before me, I had never seen anyone emit such power.

Do you always have such a filthy mouth? he purred, sending gooseflesh across my skin. My silence made him continue.

Apparently so, he chuckled, but I am still curious as to why this is happening and as to why I can't fully see you.

I suddenly became very self-conscious of my sleep-ridden face and the black sports bra and leggings I had changed into when I got home. My current lack of a shirt made my face flash the deepest shade of crimson. Oh god, what all could he see?

"What all can you see?" I questioned.

The figure slowly started to pace, shaking his head.

Not much. I can see your shape and that you're wearing a black outfit. I can see your hair pulled back, away from your face. Other than that, it's distorted. Can you see my surroundings? I can't see yours.

"No," I replied, "I can see about the same for you. I just don't understand what's happening or if this is even real. Where are you?"

He paused for a moment, as if he was deciding to tell his location.

Currently, the Outer Rim near Crait. And yourself? he asked.

"Wait, what's the Outer Rim? What's a Crait?"

Ah, so you are farther than I originally suspected. What planet are you on?

"Earth. I'm on Earth." I replied.

Earth, he whispered, curiosity lacing his voice. I will see what information I can find on surrounding star systems. Sleep well, Doctor, until we are connected again.

"Wait," I said as he turned to leave, "what's your name?"

Ben, my name is Ben.

+++++++++++++++++

Ben. His name is Ben. I smiled to myself as I laid in bed, trying to soak up the last few minutes of rest before I had to start the day. The altercation between the two of us earlier that morning had raised so many questions. Obviously, the universe is expansive and never-ending, so of course there had to be life out there somewhere. What I didn't know, however, was just how far away that life was from me. Considering I couldn't find shit online about a planet called Crait, I assumed it was pretty damn far. I childishly coined Ben as My Space Prince. Fucking ridiculous.

I eyed the space in my room that he had occupied earlier that morning. My mind wandered at the thought of him. What was he doing now? Would he be asleep? Working? Does he have a family? Was he thinking about me? I huffed at the thought, semi-annoyed that I've already let this mysterious man make me feel some type of way. Regardless, he's probably going about his day not even giving it the first thought.