It's Not Love

Yu's POV:

"...Crap," Kanji mutters, grabbing his jacket from the back of his chair. "I gotta go."

"Huh? Where are you going?" Chie scoffs, sitting on her hands.

"Uh, gotta go help Mom out," he says quickly, shooting me a swift glance. I nod in return, pursing my lips.

"I'll, uh, come, too," I say, taking a stand myself.

"Why do you both need to go?" Yosuke furrows his eyebrows. "What, you gonna make out, or something?"

"What!? G-geez, Senpai. What is this, an interrogation?" Kanji splutters. "Of course not, dammit! Yu-senpai's just a great help, you know...?"

"Stop teasing him about it, Yosuke," Chie mutters. "You know he doesn't think it's funny."

"Oh, I didn't realize you were working at Tatsumi Texiles part-time, Yu-kun," Yukiko says.

"I'm not," I shrug. "I'm just helping a friend out, that's all."

"God, what's up with you two?" Yosuke murmurs. "You've been acting strange."

"L-listen, we really should go," Kanji says, checking his cell quickly.

"Hey, Yu," Yosuke calls after me. "Are we still going Okina tonight to watch that movie?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah, of course," I chuckle. "I promised you, didn't I?"

"Good," he grins. "Just makin' sure you didn't forget."

"How could I?" I smile. "I'll talk to you later, okay, partner?"

"For sure," he nods, his mouth half-full of beef croquettes.

~~~

"...Sorry," Kanji murmurs, sitting on the edge of his futon.

"Don't worry about it," I say, moving to his side.

"...I- I know we got together to go inside the TV, but..." He trails off, looking at the ground. "I kinda wanted to be alone with you."

"...Kanji..."

"I like being with you, Senpai, but I don't get it. If you really feel that way about Yosuke-senpai, then why are you here with me?"

"...You know you're the only one I can be myself around," I shrug. "If Yosuke found out... God. I could lose him for good."

"...Maybe you should try move on," he says quietly, glancing over at me.

"I can't," I sigh. "I just... Have a tinge of hope, you know? I know it's stupid. He doesn't even like guys. I just..."

"It's okay, Senpai," he says. "The two of you have been through a lot together."

"...When I'm with you... It feels like I'm not putting up a front," I admit. "When I kiss you, when I hold you... It all feels good to me, I guess. It's a special way. A way that I've never felt with a girl."

"I feel the same," he nods, a small smile appearing across his face. "Doesn't it bother you, though? How you're kissing a guy you're not in love with?"

"Sometimes," I shrug. "But, I, uh... I usually think of Yosuke when I'm with you..."

"...I see."

"No, wait," I mumble. "Shit. Sorry, Kanji, that-"

"Dude, it's fine," he chuckles. "I don't mind. We're doing this for the sake of each other, right? Not 'cause we like each other in that way."

"Yeah," I nod. "So, what about you?"

"Huh?"

"When you're with me... Who do you think of?" I ask. "That Naoto kid?"