Ersatz

Yosuke's POV:

It's been a good few days of talking to her.

Yuna.

Yuna, Yuna, Yuna...

I haven't been able to go a minute without frantically checking for her texts.

I wonder if she does the same.

I scroll through our messages, rereading every conversation we've had, laughing at it — laughing at us.

I could do this forever. I could talk to her forever without getting bored — without needing anyone else. 'Cause she's like that. She makes me forget everything. She makes me feel special.

I smile, still scrolling though the messages.

I have asked her to voice call once or twice, but she declined. Always had something to do, even when she'd never mention it beforehand.

I suppose she's embarrassed? Or scared, or insecure? Those are the only logical reasons I can come up with.

I've told her time and time again that it's okay, and that I have nothing to judge her for, but still — a blunt no.

I'd never dream of pushing her into it, but it does make me a bit upset.

I want to know everything about her. I want to see her; to hear her; to feel her.

Then she'd see she has nothing to fear. Not when I'm around.

And, yeah, okay, I've asked her to meet up a few times. But she lives in Tokyo, which is kind of the main issue.

I offered to pay for her ticket, or to visit her, but she insisted it wasn't a big deal.

Again, that made me feel like shit.

Don't get me wrong; we're fine doing what we're doing; we're fine texting each other throughout the day. The issue is that I want to see her. I want to show her off — I want to treasure her.

But I can hardly do that over some app.

Baby steps, I know... But I'll be here when she needs me.

I'm shaken out of my daydream when Teddie starts rustling something in the closet.

"Teddie," I call out.

"Yes?" He peers his head through the door.

"What are you doing?" I scoff.

"Nothing..." He murmurs.

"Teddie—"

"Seriously, it's nothing!" He says. "Just go back to sleep, Yosuke!"

I sit up in my bed. "Dude, just tell me."

"Nuh-uh." He shakes his head. "Can't do that."

"And why not?"

"Because I'm not allowed to."

"Says who?"

"Says Sensei." He quickly covers his mouth, regretting his words.

"Yu?" I splutter.

Huh...? What does he want with Teddie?

"I've said too much." He slides the door shut again, but I jump up to hold it open.

He's got a pair of swimming shorts laid out with a set of goggles, inflatable armbands, and a towel overflowing out of the bag beside it.

"Teddie," I warn.

He shakes his head. "I-it's not what it looks like!"

It's nearing the end of August. This is exactly what it looks like.