Funny Feeling

Yosuke's POV:

"Narukami's here," Dad says, meeting me in the back.

"I know," I mumble, rearranging the shelves.

"...He's got company."

"I know," I snap.

"I, uh... gave him and his friends free milkshakes, so... Feel free to help yourself to one, Yosuke," he smiles.

"Dad, I don't care," I grunt.

He sighs. "You should talk to him."

"Not you, too," I scoff.

"What do you mean?"

"I owe him nothing," I shrug. "Simple as that."

"You owe him an apology."

"He was gonna leave me!"

"You're not alone, Yosuke," he mumbles. "If Narukami left... You wouldn't be alone."

I feel my nostrils flare. "You don't get shit."

"Don't use that language with me."

"...Sorry," I murmur.

"Drifting yourself now will only encourage him to leave. Is that what you want?"

"I couldn't give a damn about him." I turn my back agin, grabbing a box of candy bars.

"I'll stock those," he offers, taking the box from me.

"Dad—"

"Please, Yosuke," he breathes. "Don't let him become another Katsuragi."

I bite my tongue. Hard.

Fine. Maybe I'm the one still caught up on him.

Katsuragi — my first true friend back in the city. After I moved, we talked, sure. But it was vague. And then rare. And then non-existant.

I don't want things to go like that with Yu.

I probably should, but... How am I meant to?

I should consider myself lucky by the fact that he even notices me. I could use that to my advantage, but... He's more than some heartthrob.

I'd trust him with my life, and yet he doesn't trust me. How can I forgive him for that, seriously?

I could easily destroy him. I could tell everyone about his 'thing' with Kanji. Nobody would take him seriously, then.

...But I'm not like that. I know him, and I know it's fake. Besides, I don't want to bring him down, exactly; I just want to be apart from him.

I think?

Being with him hurts. Especially because he doesn't want to be around me.

I can't force what isn't there.

If he doesn't like me, then fine. But... coming to Junes? Seriously?

What is he trying to do?

"Here." Dad pushes me out of the way, tending to the shelves. "Go talk to him."

"Dad—"

"You'll regret it if you don't."

I look at him, but he already has his back to me.

~~~

I head up to the food court, holding my breath.

He's sat there, between Naoto and Kanji. Half participating in the conversation, half staring at his cell.