Another Guy

Yosuke's POV:

"What are you doing?" Yu frowns, feeling my grip pulling him back.

I swallow hard, waiting for the others to pass us.

"Yosuke-"

"Did you sleep okay?"

"Seriously?" He grunts. "You could have asked me that this morning."

"Yeah, but-"

"Watch out!" Rise calls. "I'm sensing a strong Shadow in there."

Yu turns back to the others. "Let's do this."

"Wait," I say again.

Yu grips his katana as he turns around, annoyed. "What?"

I swallow hard. "Be careful."

He nods, turning back to the team before turning back to me with a sigh. "Are you okay?"

"What?" I splutter.

His shoulders drop, and he doesn't make eye contact. "How's your back? And wrist? And... everything else?"

I blink. "Fine. They're fine."

He furrows a brow, looking at me up and down like he doesn't believe me.

"I'm serious," I say. "I went to the gym yesterday, so I'm fine."

His face falls. "Don't do that anymore."

"What?" I scoff.

"Since we're back into training with Shadows, there's no need to train individually anymore," he shrugs. "I don't want you to overdo it."

"But-" I try.

"I have you on the front lines at all times," he frowns. "You are getting as much action as me. Any more, and you'll permanently injure yourself."

My lip twitches a little at being told off by him. Then again... He is our leader...

"Alright," I nod.

His face immediately softens. "Thank you."

I scratch my nose, my kunai just metres away from my face.

I guess it's sweet the way he cares. That, and I doubt he wants me to be a burden on him.

Naoto's his friend, after all.

~~~

Yu's POV:

"What's this?" Chie mutters, bending down to pick up some sort of key card the moment we defeat the Shadow.

"It... has a strong aura," Rise says, dismissing Himiko. "We should keep ahold of it for now."

"Huh," she nods slowly. "Then I'll hand this to you." She slots the card in my palm, closing my fingers over it.

"We're getting closer, right?" Yukiko smiles.

"Definitely," Rise agrees. "Maybe two or three more floors to go?"

"But I'm tired," Teddie groans, kicking the floor. "And my feet hurt."

"C'mon," Kanji snaps. "Pull yourself together; this idiot's life is on the line here."

I put a hand on his shoulder to ease him. "We're gonna save him."

"Yeah," he grunts, sighing softly.

I turn my head to see Yosuke looking at the ground. I find it strange how he's not engaging in conversation, as he usually would.